Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EP Question

Morning all, i have a Startravel 120mm which i use purely for messier hunting. I have a couple of decent ep's down to 15mm. The lowest i have is the standard 10mm ep that came with my scope. My question is: do i invest in a decent 10mm ep or go down to say, an 8mm ep? Would an 8mm be pushing my scopes abilities and will DSO'S fit in an 8mm field of view?

If yes to decent 10 or 8mm ep's which make and model ?

Budget of £50.

Thanks in advance

Al

Hi Al,

I ghave the ST120 for my grab & go. It's a great scope, the ep I most frequently use is a 2" 15mm. However I also use a BST Explorer 8mm which gives 75X and a Hyperion 5mm for 120x. I really like the BST it gives great views and is C£40 new.

Cheers

Higher magnifications tend to darken the background thus enabling fainter objects to be seen including stars, so they are worth having, especially with the smaller galaxies and the smaller planetary nebulae.

That is really good to know. I did notice that using a high power EP on my scope it made the sky a lot darker but I had not realised the benefit to seeing galaxies. When the clouds clear I am going on the hunt and try out my 7.5mm

Archived