Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 20 modification

Hi

Fairly new to astro photography, have snapped a few shots of Jupiter and the Orion nebula through my wife's nexstar 6". Currently using my 60d however I'm not pre paired to mod this camera as its primarily for photography!

However my older 20d is getting on now but still has a decent sensor. So my newbie question is: does it need to have the current filter need replacing with an ir version, I see some companies offering a remove only service, what's the deal?

Thanks

Spell

Curtainly considering that option I have repaired a couple of lenses before so have wee screw drivers etc. I'm more concerned that without the filter the ccd would be left unprotected. Adding the new filter looks more fiddily. Happy to give either a go given that the camera owes me nothing after 7 years.

There's a great account of dslr imaging here (includes the 20D):

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

Part of the mod is to remove the standard filter that blocks red light so your chip can pick up all the red colours in nebulae. You can get clip filters as well for other wavelengths - it also describes all the mods so give it a good read - I go back there all the time :)

Thanks chaps, I think i will go for a Baader ACF 2 filter, after further reading astronomiser suggest that it provides added protection to the ccd (as i susspected). Still in two minds as to DIY or not. The procedure looks simple enough, stripping down my 17-85 IS lens was harder.

I have had this in my favourites for a while now. Canon 20D IR Blocking Filter Modification

Makes it look so easy but I just can't bring myself to do it even though I have already scratched the cover and don't use the 20D anymore. Although I don't know where to source a replacement filter.

Does the clip filter do the same job?

Baader filters @ Modern Astronomy :D

Archived