First scope

Hi, You've probably heard it loads of times but here goes anyways, been a member on here for about two years or so but not posted for the same amount of time. Don't ask:(

Anyways, looking to try and get my first scope for myself and my son aged 10..

There's a guy on the for sale board who lives up the road from me selling a http://stargazerslounge.com/sale/162353-sale-skywatcher-dobsonian.html

and wonder if this would be appropriate. I have a conservatory to store the scope so space should be OK.

Mainly would like to use it to see planets/moon etc..Goto would be nice but they arn't cheap are they!!

I would be comfortable buying second hand but could buy new as well, Budget I would say around the £150-£250 mark.

Any ideas or comments welcome

Cheers, Si.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Si,

I think that scope would make an excellent choice for yourself and your son. Many folks never find they need more than an 8" aperture.

The price seems very fair to me too for an 11 month old scope, assuming it's in very good condition.

To get a GOTO facility for that budget would mean a much reduced aperture and, in my view, much less viewing potential and "wow" factor.

Cheers, John/rwilkey and Thanks for a quick responce.

How do you think I'll get on with this type of mount and tracking planets/moon etc, would it be OK or do you think one of these EQ mounts would be best?

Just wondering before I take the plunge.

Also would like to think about maybe using a web-cam connected to computer(sitting indoors). Problem is with that I'll have to keep going outside and moving it..hence a goto jobby/auto tracking device. probably getting a bit carried away here though..:)

I'll looked back at the chaps posts (who's selling) and his images I'm sure arn't the best from the size of scope..!..so was putting me off a little but I dunno!! http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/131928-my-first-dslr-saturn-image.html

Cheers.

You'll need auto tracking or a GOTO I should think for that. As is you're talking about visual only, which is a good place to start. Mounts are a personal choice, I chose the EQ5 because I didn't know much about dobs and didn't ask. Now that health problems (stroke) have kicked in, I might have chosen a dob.

It really is no problem tracking the moon and planets with high magnification, i got my 16" a while ago as my first Dob and i had no problems tracking Mars at 457x the second time i ever used it, although that was with wide angle eyepieces so i guess it wouldn't be as easy with smaller field of view ep's.

I have no clue about imaging though as i've never done it.

//Anders

OK then..on my post #4 he has an image of saturn which I would of expected better results in the image and probably a we bit bigger but I'm not 100%..obviously.

So my question is with the eye pieces that comes as standard with this scope, What kind of images am I likely to see. Anybody got any example..:)

Thanks for your input so far, And John sorry to here about your health probs and good luck..

Cheers, Si.

Hi,

I teach astronomy to younger folks year round, and the workhorse scope of my program is the 150mm dob (I have 12 in service.). If you have a chance to get a 200 mm for a reasonable price - I would highly recommend it.

Lightweight, rugged, and as others have said - lots of WOW factor. You and your son will have a chance to learn about the constellations and planets together, and the moon will be absolutely spectacular. (don't forget a lunar filter if the scope doesn't come with one!)

Cheers,

Dan

OK then..on my post #4 he has an image of saturn which I would of expected better results in the image and probably a we bit bigger but I'm not 100%..obviously.

So my question is with the eye pieces that comes as standard with this scope, What kind of images am I likely to see. ...

That photo you linked to is a fair idea of what Saturn will look like at around 200x, which in the 200P dobsonian will need a 6mm eyepiece. On a night of good seeing conditions you may be able to use a bit more magnification, say 250x, but often the extra power causes less sharp and well defined views. This is usually due to our viewing conditions rather than shortcomings with the scope.

The images you see taken with scopes of a similar size to yours can be very misleading as image capture techniques can produce results that the eye just can't replicate.

The photo taken will not be what you see with your eyes. It is way over exposed and blurry because of vibration on the mount. So I wouldn't use this image as true representaion of what the dob can produce.

Also would like to think about maybe using a web-cam connected to computer(sitting indoors).
I think the limits on USB cable length (5 metres) will nix that idea. I'm pretty sure people who image with webcams connect them to laptops that they have outside with their scope. After all, it's not going be raining when they're doing it!

Mmmm..some things to consider.

Wonder if this mount would be a problem for tracking for the 200p dob

Thinking that a good EQ mount would suffice, so maybe a 150p on an eq mount as if I get this dob 200p and then have to upgrade to a different mount could be expensive!

Thinking..?

Dont have any doubts about this scope whatsoever, it is a fantastic scope which will give you and your son some memorable views, not just of the planets, but many other fantastic sights. I have used one in light polluted oldham and had some great views of clusters etc.

Hi, Lookinfg at this

EXPLORER-200P (EQ5)

200mm (8") f/1000 Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope

scope would I be right in saying it would give me the same results as the dob visually.

Looking at the alternatives and I'm getting a we bit confused now:confused:

Skywatcher Newtonian Reflector Telescopes - Reflector Telescopes by OVL

Decisions, decisions..

Hi, yes, exactly the same results as the dob, it is a question of preference on the mounts. With the dob you will sit down to view the night sky, with the EQ5 you will stand up. Your son may need a box to stand on to reach the ep, depending on how tall he is!

So my question is with the eye pieces that comes as standard with this scope, What kind of images am I likely to see. Anybody got any example..:)

Thanks for your input so far, And John sorry to here about your health probs and good luck..

Cheers, Si.

Check out this web site.

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

For any given combination or Scope (FL) and Eyepiece it shows you what you will be able to see for any given object DSO, Solar etc.

When I first started a looking for a first scope I had no clue whether the things I wanted to see would wow me by filling the frame or be a minuscule let down. This web site would have been very useful in this respect had I know it existed.

Check out this web site.

For any given combination or Scope (FL) and Eyepiece it shows you what you will be able to see for any given object DSO, Solar etc.

When I first started a looking for a first scope I had no clue whether the things I wanted to see would wow me by filling the frame or be a minuscule let down. This web site would have been very useful in this respect had I know it existed.

Thats a useful site but remember to select the "switch to visual" option - by default it's set for imaging.

You may be a bit surprised at how small even the large planets will appear, even at high magnification :)

Hi, yes, exactly the same results as the dob, it is a question of preference on the mounts. With the dob you will sit down to view the night sky, with the EQ5 you will stand up. Your son may need a box to stand on to reach the ep, depending on how tall he is!

Cheers, Wouldn't we all like to sit down :) sounds good to me.

Check out this web site.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

Thats a useful site but remember to select the "switch to visual" option - by default it's set for imaging.

You may be a bit surprised at how small even the large planets will appear, even at high magnification :)

Will do, thanks again.

Here's another Q..Collimation, does it require to be done on this and all other scopes??..Just come across this by accident looking into it..FAQ about Collimating a Newtonian telescope and my ed hurts..LOL..or am I get worried about nowt at the moment..!

Cheers, Si.

I Knew this would happen..took a look at that web-site in question http://www.12dstring.me.uk/foveyepiece.php to see what things looked like and firstly I don't know what super or LET means so not sure which eyepiece to select.

Assuming I just picked one of the skywatcher super ones at 10mm or 25mm and a planet lets say Jupitor was a tiny dot!!

This scope in question comes with a 10mm and 25mm so this isn't looking good so far unless I'm missing something. Actually I am missing something ..why doesn't these scopes come with a 3mm eyepiece or a 4X barlow to increase the magnifcation so the planet looks as it should..BIG!!

Sorry If I sound like a daft bugga..but am I doing something wrong when I was looking at it, I was doing the visual view as suggested.

Buying an 8" scope and getting just a 10/25mm eyepiece was poor looking at the size of the image...Why don't they come with a 3mm so it looks bigger?

Sorry if I sound like a noob!!

Cheers, Si.

I said you might be surprised at how small even the big planets like Jupiter and Saturn appear - it's a common comment made when people 1st look though a scope - everyone seems to want BIG !.

You just can't use that sort of power (3mm eyepiece = 400x with that scope) with a scope - 200x / 250x is about the max you can practically use - even with larger scopes. I do most of my Jupiter viewing at 150x - 180x and I see the details just fine.

What you want is a sharp and contrasty view of the object you are looking at - too much magnification gives you a larger but "mushy" view.

This is mostly to do with the viewing conditions we generally have to deal with rather than the scopes limits.

Archived