NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Extendeding the weights balance bar

TonySparsis

After adding a couple of bits and bobs to my 200p then the cameras etc; I wasn't able to get the scope to balance. Both my weights were at the end of the steel bar.

Methinks I need more weight, checked the price out, varied between £20-35. A lot of money, when you realise that you only need about an extra inch or so on the tube. Into the workshop scrap box.

Found a peice (.5 mtr) of threaded studding 12mm, exactly the same as the mount weights bar.

Went to my local materials shop and purchased a peice of steel tube 19mm OD.

Cut this to an appropiate length capped and silver soldered the ends. Finished the ends flush with the tube. Drilled out two 12mm holes, starting small then increasing to 12mm.

Screwed the studding into the existing end, it went in about 3.5 inches, so a good bit, slide the capped tube over the studding then placed a washer and bolt over the end to tighten it in. Not forgetting to put the weights on first.

Because of the extra length I was able to slide the weights that little bit further down the bar to balance the scope.

This worked out costing me £1.50 in steel tube and a couple of 12mm bolts. A lot different to buying a new weight. Also it weighs a lot less than a new weight.

If I have repeated this item then please accept my apologies. Other wise I am quite pleased with my self. 41.gif

Just my 2p so please feel free to correct me here but ....

Isn't this a bit of a risk? You're effectively

• Putting all the weight on a very short extension
  • Reducing the cross section (and as such the strength) of the CW bar

It's not as cheap as your solution, but a replacement (longer) CW bar (the whole thing, not an extension) is only £25

@melibum, you're also going to be putting much more weight than the OP (HEQ5 rather than EQ5) on the extension .....

I do not think you can get a long bar any more ,I did ask Flo not that long back .

FLO haven't had stock for a long while, I did ask when I was looking for mine. SnS do though (well if you trust the website!)

Astro Engineering AC686 Replace Counterbalance Extension shaft for HEQ5 and EQ6 Sky Watcher Mount

I can't find an EQ5 version unfortunately.

Kh3lda

What is the risk? 3-4" of the extention bar is screwed into the existing bar. Then locked in place. The cross section is not reduced in size.

In my case the weights only occupy 1-2" of the extention bar. Enough to counter balance my scope etc;

£1-50 to £25 is a great difference to me.

By putting an extra weight on the counter balance arm is increasing the weight of the mount significantly.

Not to mention cost to purchase and P&P.

The bar I made weighs in at 376 gms and is only 7" long.

I will try and post a picture up, as soon as I find out how.

Cheers

Archived