Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium

Hello

Tomorrow I will order my X-Mass gift Skywatcher Dobson telescope N 200/1200 Skyliner Classic DOB . I would like to know how accurate

is the oculars plugin section is on Stellarium. Because right now Jupiter is in my backyard and Stellarium is telling me that a 4mm EP will give me great view..True or False

Thanks

My experience is that Stellarium gives quite reasonable ocular representations for star fields and the planets, but rather exaggerates DSOs like galaxies and nebulae. Of course my scope's quite small, so maybe that's the reason.

The scope you're getting would give you fantastic views of Jupiter, if the seeing and clouds allow, with a good quality 4mm eye piece and much long focal lengths... you're going to love it :)

That pretty much matches my experience too - star fields and planets pretty accurate and incredibly useful, DSOs except maybe star clusters massively exaggerated. The only thing with planets I think is that it doesn't really take account of seeing conditions, but it should still get you most of the way there.

Matsey :)

Archived