Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using an Atsrotrac TH3010 Head Package for Visual

pilkinn

I'm looking for an alt-az head to use with my Manfrotto tripod for visual observing at remote sites (I can't be bothered lugging the EQ6 around). Has anyone used the Atrotrac TH3010 head for visual observing? It's a bit pricey at £325 but you do get the counterweight bar and counterweights with the package. It also looks like it's well engineered.

I have the Astrotrac head.

It is well engineered. I haven't used it visually, but I do mount my ED80 on it for imaging. It didn't come with any instructions, and a couple of crucial bolts were missing. However, I figured it out after a bit of trial and error and Astrotrac sent the missing bolts very quickly once I asked for them.

When setting up for the night you do have to make sure that the telescope is well balanced or you will have some trouble centering objects in the field of view as there is no fine adjustment control and you can get some "flop" when you tighten the clamps.

Also make sure the RA clamp is always reasonably tight, or it can come apart when carrying it and the small locking grub could drop out. Luckily I found this out when indoors trying things out, but it would not have been good if you were in a dark site or setting up on the grass.

Overall getting the head has made my Astrotrac much more versatile.

Dave

I'm looking for an alt-az head to use with my Manfrotto tripod for visual observing at remote sites (I can't be bothered lugging the EQ6 around). Has anyone used the Atrotrac TH3010 head for visual observing? It's a bit pricey at £325 but you do get the counterweight bar and counterweights with the package. It also looks like it's well engineered.

Yes I have done the same and it works on a sturdy tripod (mine is the Manfrotto 58B). It does need careful balancing or you can find the scope tipping quickly when you release the locking lever. I think my preference would be the 410 geared head from Manfrotto

Archived