Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSS Alignment Issue

Hi SGL,

I finally got a chance to image M1 and I feel that I got some great subs. I stack the subs in DSS, add my flats and darks, and the result is a swirling mess. The alignment seems very off, half the image is ok but the other looks like its rotating with a large chunk of the image totally pushed in. I dont know what I did wrong, never had this issue after using DSS for over a year. Anyone have a similar issue and if so, is there a solution. I feel like I may have accidentally changed a setting? I have alignment set to automatic and have plenty of stars. The two images were taken within a few minutes of eachother. Ill attach the resulting image DSS gave me after the stacking process. Only 2 300sec subs btw. Thanks:icon_salut:

JD

post-25769-133877688691_thumb.jpg

Wow, wierd.

As it's only two subs, can you stick those up too? Even better, tell DSS to create a calibrated file for each frame in the "intermediate files" section and post those up, then we can see if the flats/darks/bias have screwed it up or if it is just the stacking process.

Thanks for the tip, Ill post them when I can today, but I think I figured it out (sort of).

Yesterday I sat and kept making small adjustments to see what the cause was. It does not do this when the flats were taken out. I was able to add one flat and it worked, but when I add my Master Flat (which was around 15 flats) it goes crazy. Its strange because I took M42 and the Horsehead on the same night with the same camera and focus. The flats worked fine for them, I dont know, maybe just a freak occurance:( Thanks again.

Funnily enough, I experienced what looks like exactly the same issue the other day. I ran DSS on some files I had previously processed so I knew they were good. Well, good in the sense that DSS could process them properly :). And I got a similar result. No amount of tweaking would fix the output.

In the end, I tried re-running another stack of images just to see what happened, and got exactly the same result. But because it happened to another stack of images as well, I started thinking that there was a problem with DSS itself.

So I removed DSS and re-installed it. Problem solved - at least in my case.

Archived