Meade ETX 90 ve Nexstar 4Gt

I'd say certainly no advantage of getting the ETX90 if you've got a Nexstar 4 - persoanlyy if I had the choice of the two I'd pick the Celestron every time as its more aperture and a more reliable and versatile mount!

Helen

Thanks Guys. There is so many telescopes out there it just makes it confusing as what to get and the benefits it will provide. As I read stuff it just makes my head spin more. How would the Celestron nexstar 4GT rate as far as entry level scope. Is it just entry level or is it somewhat advanced viewing on todays standards. Thanks so Much as I am really trying to understand all of this as I jump in with both feet. Taz

I had trouble with the ETX-90 mount, until I took the base off, and rebuilt the gear assembly. It had been "skipping" on me, and I found out that the gear mesh was out of adjustment.

The ETX has marvelous optics for its size, but the mount is quite restrictive for anything else than visual astronomy. You cannot move the balance point around, so if you try to mount a camera, you immediately run into problems. Furthermore, the yoke mount gets in the way at various angles, so you might not be able to photograph parts of the sky your desired target is in.

Use it for what it is designed for, and you should consider a better quality OTA and mount for photo work.

Jim S.

celestron every time! i had a etx 70 and the gears were all plastic and eventually "weathered" when it gave the commen error of motor problems

as jim said above i would probally see about putting a different OTA on ur mountsomthing like a m77/66 or a 80ed or similar. what kind of objects do you think you might image?

Despite all the technical wizardry in the mount even the Nexstar 4 is "only" a 4 inch scope. Quite a lot can be seen with such a scope but I reckon aperture fever is very likely to set in quite quickly. I don't know if that makes it entry level or not though.

Archived