SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Apos - are they really worth the money?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm planning to get a 90-100mm apo for taking on holiday and to dark sites which I couldn't carry my 10" newt to. Remember that for visual observing a small aperture scope at a dark site may well outperform a large one at a light-polluted site. The best would be to take a large aperture scope to a dark site but for me that is not always possible, hence my wanting to get a scope I can hike with and take on a plane. Think about where you're going to use your scope - after all the best scope is the one you have with you.

I have had an 8" SCT for 15 years and recently added an APM 80 mm F/6 triplet APO. Great little scope, travels very well, beautiful views of wide field, very very crisp indeed, and I hope to image with it in the future. Visually, on planets and the moon, the 8" has it for breakfast: much more detailed views than the 80mm. Comparing the two on the moon at 140x (approx) the C8 came out a clear winner. On deep sky (except for a handful of objects that do not fit in the 1.36 deg FOV of the C8) the C8 runs rings around the 80mm. Checking out the observing log I find the C8 dominates, second is the 15x70 (for wide field and informal, quick views), and third the 80mm.

Thanks Ampleamp - I may take you up on that. I work in Exeter during the week so I don't get home till the weekends and my time is precious with a 6 month old causing mayhem and a Mrs who needs a bit of help! I'm now leaning away from an apo. I will still look for myself and if you can facilitate a viewing, that would help enormously as it may completely shift my thinking.

I am now looking at the SW Flextube - the large ones but have concerns about the weight. When I eventually get the family moved down to Devon, an obsy is on the list and I can really get into imaging then. I may yet buy both, but not at the same time!

Thanks again for the offer mate.

Not up to Olly's standard, I admit, but here are a couple of images from my Megrez 72:

m45-iso800-20111028_filtered-cropped-scaled.jpg

Moon-20111015.jpg

Only had the 'scope for about a year and a decent mount for about 6 months. Nights with clear enough skies have been few and far between so I'm still learning what I and the gear are capable of!

From my perspective, and what seems to be a common thread:

For imaging: most definitely worth every penny

For visual: get a big, fat Dob

I own two small APOs (65 and 106) for imaging, and have my 12" Dob for the deep stuff....best of both worlds!

Archived