NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flatteners and Spacing with OAG

steve2310

Hi SGL

I am currently having a dilemma with spacing and OAG. After having some problems with a TS-OAG and my Atik EFW2 I decided that it was probably best to go with the especially made ATIK OAG.

However, being that the Atik is 'thicker' than the TS OAG I now have concerns with regard to spacing, in particular with the TV TRF-2008 flattener/reducer that I was hoping to use.

Apparently this FF/R has an optimum spacing of 56mm but looking at the total distance of ccd chip, FW, OAG, this all comes to approximately 64mm (or so I believe).

I'm just wondering how others have overcome this problem? Will this extra distance make the TV FF/R not really useable? Is there any answer to this problem?

Any help or advice would really be appreciated.

Steve.

This is a review of the TV0.8 flattener. It gives the working distance as 56 +/- 4mm. Other flatteners (eg Celestron 0.63: 0.63-105mm, 0.7-50mm, 0.5-225mm) give different magnifications at different working distances implying they will work at other distances. However, the mag will change, and aberration correction may not be optimum. You're fairly close so I guess the best way to find out is to try it.

Thanks for the link and reply BlueAstra. You are right in the respect that the best thing to do is to just try. Nothing is ever simple is it?

I wonder if anyone else uses a flattener with the ATIK OAG/EFW2/383L set-up?

Thanks again.

Atik OAG just uses big threads and some T-thread adapters. It's not permanently connected to the wheel. So if you want to play with threads - it's doable. I use Brighstar OAG and that one is just T-threaded on both sides (and using OAG is a good thing).

Thanks Rik. I'll keep faith with it then and have a play with moving the OAG around. I'll have a try connecting the OAG with the EFW2 to begin with and see how round (or not) the stars are towards the edge, and then take it from there.

Hate to be the bearer of slightly bad news, but experimentation I have had with my TRF2008 shows a distance of about 50mm is required. This stuffs any use of the TRF2008 and a DSLR, as you don't (normally) have the luxury of adjusting the distance reducer to chip.

I got around this with my SXVR-H16 by using the SX-OAG and a TS filter drawer, and I screwed (and I mean physically screwed) the OAG to the drawer.

Gary

Hate to be the bearer of slightly bad news, but experimentation I have had with my TRF2008 shows a distance of about 50mm is required. This stuffs any use of the TRF2008 and a DSLR, as you don't (normally) have the luxury of adjusting the distance reducer to chip.

I got around this with my SXVR-H16 by using the SX-OAG and a TS filter drawer, and I screwed (and I mean physically screwed) the OAG to the drawer.

Gary

You can now get low profile T adaptors - the standard T-adaptors are designed to give a fixed 55.0mm "register" which is the distance between the the FP (sensor) and the front face of the T adaptor for use with T mount lenses...

Modern Astronomy sell a Canon EOS one...

Peter...

With the Atik OAG you won't be able to put the OAG on the other side of the flattener/reducer. It does not connect to the filter wheel via t-threads but through 3 small grub screws that go into special holes on the EFW2 so you are kinda set with at least the OAG -> EFW2 -> camera portion unless you make (or have made) a special adapter that will allow you to somehow mount the flattener between the OAG and the EFW2, but with the grub screw attachment side for the OAG it might be a little difficult.

Archived