Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 400D + Sky-Watcher 130mm Reflector

Gauge105

Hi all,

I've just ordered this scope for my partner's bday and want to know how we can attach my Canon EOS 400D DSLR camera so we can get into astrophotography.

We're interested in both planetary and DSO photography so we'd need an option that is quite versatile.

I have looked through previous threads, either I'm having a blind moment but I can't seem to find just the right info.

If someone could please point me towards an adapter that would work best for me I would be eternally grateful.

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone that knows of any remote control software for the 400D that works well for A/P.

Cheers,

Gary

Hmm... The 130 features a 1.25" focuser and the easiest way to attach a DSLR to a scope is with a suitable coma corrector into a 2" focuser. There may be a 1.25" to 2" adaptor, but the question is whether the scope can "fill" a DSLR sensor without vignetting.

I'm sure someone has a better answer - I have only 2" stuff.

/per

Hi Gary,

The 400D can be controlled from a PC by three applications that I' know of. One is the EOs utility, but the other two are dedicated astro- photography applications. BackyardEOs and APT (advanced astro photography tool). I use APT with my 400D.

To control the camera you'll need a USB cable, and a serial shutter release cable if you want to expose for longer than 30 seconds. These can be made quite cheaply, providing you can solder a couple of wires or components.

However, I personally have reservations as to the suitability of the telescope / mount which may struggle with the weight or imbalance caused with the camera attached.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Perfrej - I'm a bit confused, the site I'm buying this telescope from states the following in its description. Precision 2.0" rack-and-pinion focuser includes a 1.25” adapter.

From what I could tell the eyepiece is 1.25", am I not understanding this correctly?

Malc-C - thanks for the software info, APT looks like a brilliant program.

I understand your concerns with the 400D and this telescope, 400D is quite heavy so it would certainly put a strain on the mount.

It looks like I may have quite a bit of trial and error ahead of me.

Even with the direct coupling you can still get a little vignetting as the scope is f5.

You don't actually get the full 2". The T ring screws on the outside thread if the adapter, so there is a reduction at that stage, then the T ring is connected to the camera body, so in essence it's about 1.5" clear aperture into the camera.

i do not think this scope would able to take the pics you are looking for it may track but not good enough for ap as the motion(of the motors) is up and down ,left to right and the motion will be a little bouncy and the eq its sat on does not look greatbut say in that it may work but the weight of that 400d may balance funny you may need a counter weight which will put stress on the little mount again

i do not think this scope would able to take the pics you are looking for it may track but not good enough for ap as the motion(of the motors) is up and down ,left to right and the motion will be a little bouncy and the eq its sat on does not look greatbut say in that it may work but the weight of that 400d may balance funny you may need a counter weight which will put stress on the little mount again

Something I raised earlier

However, I personally have reservations as to the suitability of the telescope / mount which may struggle with the weight or imbalance caused with the camera attached.

The fact you will also get field rotation will also reduce it's suitability as an imaging platform... OK for shots of the moon but little else

It doesn't have enough inward travel on the focuser, meaning you can't bring the camera to focus. In fact, Skywatcher released a range of scopes (The "PDS" range) to combat this issue for DSLR imagers.

You can reach focus if you add a barlow into the equation, but this does have the negative side effect of increasing focal length (reducing the FOV) and therefore you need to take longer exposures to compensate.

Archived