Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filters and stuff

Re Sun filters.....buy as many of the "SUN" eyepiece filters as you can....then throw them as far as you can into the deepest nearby lake. I'll pay you any out of pocket expenses. These things are down right dangerous! They should have been banned years ago!!

The safest and best way to observe the sun in white light is by using an aperture filter on your scope (don't forget the finder!).

The Baader Solar Film is 100% safe and does a great job.

When buying a sun filter - is there one for the objective lense? Or the eyepiece ones are ok?

The eyepiece ones can crack/explode and are very dangerous indeed.

Best moon filters to look for?
Provided you don't mind the image being red, then a dark red filter "Number 29" is fantastic, and cuts through bad seeing, giving you even crisper views than no filter at all. I wouldn't be without mine. Get one with good coatings, such as a Lumicon.
Does it make any sense to get a "night pollution filter" in a city of about 10,000
Hard to say, since neodymium-based light pollution filters - filters with a purple tint, rather than a mirror-finish - don't work at all in some cities due to modern city lighting being broadband in nature.

The neodymium filters compared to other light pollution filters have a hardened coating which means they can be cleaned without fear of damaging the surface. I have found that they are also useful in bringing out contrast on the moon and planets but like many filters, no silver bullet and the difference is slight - but sometimes that's all you need.

James

Archived