Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC342 - only just

theodore

This took me two hours to find (no goto in my garden) but it is hidden behind the Milky Way! Picking out guiding asterisms in all those stars was tough. A very interesting galaxy - if it wasn't for our own in the way it would be much brighter. I'll be trying to add to the data when I next get a chance. Only got time for a few shots before the mist came in this time, so its still only a ghost.

6286878450_f7c00d5662_z.jpg

Galaxy IC342 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

P.S. why does it still have amp-glow when I used darks??

Taken form Wharram le Street, North Yorkshire, 22/10/2011.

300 mm f4 Newtonian

Canon 350D, unmodded

15 x 2' @ ISO800

Processed in Lynkeos and PSCS2

Amp glow after darks? Change in temp between darks and lights? Just an idea. Pixinsight's DBE or Gradient Xterminator would nail it.

This IS a faint devil, isn't it. I started it once and then forgot about it. You have it, though, and after finding it by hand you deserve an extra chocolate biscuit!

Olly

Very tough subject.. and was only discovered in 1895, which goes to show how dim it is.

I make the surface brightness around 24.3 mag/sq.arc.sec. about 1/3rd the surface brightness of M33.

Well done on getting it at all.

Derek

Great bit of work on an under-imaged and beautiful galaxy. Thanks for sharing it.

I'd never heard of it before, but after a bit of homework I realise that it's huge (wider than the full moon!) and well worth the effort. I'd have a go at it myself, but sadly it's in an area around the pole which I can't see from my obs. Doh!

Archived