Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Nexstar 8 GPS First Light

dazza1639

As the title says Another First light report on a Nexstar 8 GPS.

I saw the unbelievable offer on David Hinds website did a bit of groveling to she who must be obeyed, spoke to Adam at DH (Very helpful I would recommend them to anyone Thanks Adam). Pulled the trigger on my new Nexstar 8 it was delivered the next day.

I got my self a jump start power supply and setup for first light last night, even though the seeing wasn't the best I still saw more in one nights viewing than the last couple of years with my little 4½ " reflector. Go-to is just the best invention ever for saving time although you don't get the same buzz that you do when you find an object yourself for the first time. The Nexstar's optics are supurb and were in good collimation requiring only a small tweek using a star test. I think another star test will be required when the seeing is better.

After viewing the usual suspects, moon, venus, saturn & the beehive (very impressed so much more detail) I decided to take the tour this is an excellent feature but due to the moon, light pollution and my under developed observing skills I couldn't make out some of the objects that where supposed to be there. I did however see lots of open clusters & globs that I hadn't managed to see before, M81 & 82 where the faintest of smudges but you could definitely make them out.

All in all I have to say I'm blown away by the quality of this scope. It has to rate as one of my best purchases ever. I'm looking forward to seeing more and studying them in more detail as time goes by.

Darren

If I didnt already have one, I`d get one again..... the numer of expletives that I uttered on my first night under the stars when I moved from my ETX90 to the NS8GPS was huge :D

(/me checks the Hind's website for stuff... for the 3rd time today...)

Darren

Glad you had a great first light with the GPS 8, from my limited use with it so far I'm impressed.

It was obviously clearer for you last night than my first light with the same scope. I've yet to see a star to try a star test ! Only managed the Moon, Venus and Saturn through a slight haze.

Tonight might be clearer - we shall see !

8)

MD

Archived