NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

strange colour

I thought as it was relatively clear tonight i would go out and try to take a half decent image of jupiter with my 130 skywatcher and phillips spc880 (flashed to 900). This is the first time ive used the webcam with the scope. Well the issue i thought i would have was with the tracking, well that was not the problem.

The problem is that i get a horrible blue haze around the image as shown in the image below. I know the image isnt very good anyway, this i can work on i.e focus, more frames etc.

I have played with the wavelets and got it to the best i can but the blue is still there. I use a IR filter on the webcam so i havnt a clue why its doing it.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please as i am stumped

Thanks

Mark.

oct11.png

Hi Mark, a five inch newt is capable of taking better pictures than that, but don't be discouraged. There are a lot of things that could be causing the problem and as you fix them you will get better and better results.

When you look through the eyepiece what do you see? Something better, I expect. It looks like you have chromatic aberration, which you should not have with a newt and webcam (with it's lens removed) at prime focus. If you are using a Barlow or eyepiece projection, make sure everything is lined up and the planet centered. Give more information about your setup and the real experts here (not me) will be able to help you

Eric

thank you for your replies, i agree ericgraham that i should be getting much better results, as you say though, with more preactise and playing, i can only improve :) .

Thanks for clearing up what the blue fringing is Cornelius, i shall go back into regsitax and see hat i can do with it, thanks.

Incidently, im using sharpcap so ive got to find my way around that also and find the best settings as there are many different settings to play with.

Thanks

Mark.

Archived