Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1100D or 550D?

bm1980

Hi all i am intrested in getting into using a dslr for astrophotography, i was wondering which of the above would be better. My question is, is the 550d worth the extra? i hear it has a bigger higher res lcd screen than the 1100d as well as 18mp instead of 12mp.

I want to do some widefield astro shots as well as attach the camera to my celestron 127 Mak scope.

I would apreciate your views on this, as well as any other DSLRs you would reconmend.

Regards

Ben

Thanks brantuk, lots of info there, just had a quick scan through it, will have a good read through it later.

Sorry more questions, i have noticed that the 1100d depending on were you buy it, it comes with a 18-55 lense but some supply it with a 18-55 image stabilisation lense, would the is lense be more benificial for widefield astro work?

Regards

Ben

For astro use you don't need IS and if the lens has it you will want to turn it off... it's handy to have for general use... How much difference is there in price?

The 18-55's are both EF-S lenses and they cant easily be used with clip-in filters (you can "butcher" them) a good and relatively cheap astro lens is the Canon 50mm f1.8 EF II ... also older M42 thread lenses with a suitable adaptor are very cost effective

The 1100D is more tollerant of "budget" lenses .. the Higher MP sensor of the 550D can give softer results ...

Peter...

Thanks for the reply Peter, the 1100d without is lense is £379 and £399 with it and the 550d is only offered without the is lense and is £550. Is it worth the extra £150?

i have heard that the increase in mp with the 550d is good for general use, but for astro this will increase more noise in the images captured. Is this true?

Regards

Ben

If there is only £20 difference with the lens I would buy it with it.....

in general larger pixels (lower MP) are more sensitive.. but technology moves on so its not always as simpel as comparing apples with apples... The 550D was the first of the "budget" Canons to use a Gapless micro-lensed sensor... This is supposed to help direct light onto the smaller photosites in the higher MP sensor...

The 1100D sensor wise is an useful upgrade on the older 1000D offering 14 bit raw and from the test lower noise...

I havent had either an 1100D or 550D in my hands but have had 350D,1000D,450D and 500D and lately a 7D...

What balance of Astro/general use do you have planned for the camera?

For astro use I would consider the cheaper camera and using the money saved towards modding to improve Ha sensitivity or a clip in LP filter...

Peter..

Hi Peter i plan on using the camera for a bit of both, astro and general use, as i dont have an eq mount i know i wont be able to fully use the dslr to its maximum potential.I have a celestron 127 slt with go-to mount, what would you reconmend as the maximum exsposure lenght for each capture?

I think i will go for the 1100d with the is lense, then use the difference to get a good sd card, case and tripod. The filter you mentioned was this a light pollution filter and do these just screw onto the supplied 18-55 is lense?

Sorry for all the questions. :D

Regards

Ben

One thing to bear in mind is the massive processing power requjired to handle 18mp images in RAW or TIFF format especially if you are trying to create mosaics. My dual core 3Ghz processor with 2GB or RAM running XP simply isn't up to the task. I am loading up my new overclocked icore 7 machine as I type.

I have a 1000D and a 550D. The sensitivity is about the same (the micolenses making up for the 550Ds smaller pixel size). The 14bit chip is a definite plus when it comes to processing and the increased pixel density is a big benefit for what I use it for i.e. camera lenses typically 8 - 50mm. Using longer focal length scopes the extra pixels could be more of a hinderance than a help.

Hi Ben ...

The clip-ins dont work with the 18-55 or EF-S lenses.. for the 18-55 EF-S your best bet if to buy the 2" (48mm) Skywatcher and step rings to mount it to the front of the lens... Bristol Cameras keep a massive range of adaptor rings ...

Step Down Rings to Buy Online from UK Digital Cameras Experts

IIRC the one you want for the 18-55 EF-s is the 58-48mm one...

Stepping Ring - 58-48mm - Best Price at Bristol Cameras

Peter...

One thing to bear in mind is the massive processing power requjired to handle 18mp images in RAW or TIFF format especially if you are trying to create mosaics. My dual core 3Ghz processor with 2GB or RAM running XP simply isn't up to the task. I am loading up my new overclocked icore 7 machine as I type.

I have a 1000D and a 550D. The sensitivity is about the same (the micolenses making up for the 550Ds smaller pixel size). The 14bit chip is a definite plus when it comes to processing and the increased pixel density is a big benefit for what I use it for i.e. camera lenses typically 8 - 50mm. Using longer focal length scopes the extra pixels could be more of a hinderance than a help.

thanks, you have just helped me decide that its the 1100d that i need, as i will be be processing the images with my dual core 3Gb ram Vaio laptop, also with the long focal length (1200mm) of my 127 mak i dont wont the extra pixels to hinder me.

Regards

Ben

Hi Ben ...

The clip-ins dont work with the 18-55 or EF-S lenses.. for the 18-55 EF-S your best bet if to buy the 2" (48mm) Skywatcher and step rings to mount it to the front of the lens... Bristol Cameras keep a massive range of adaptor rings ...

Step Down Rings to Buy Online from UK Digital Cameras Experts

IIRC the one you want for the 18-55 EF-s is the 58-48mm one...

Stepping Ring - 58-48mm - Best Price at Bristol Cameras

Peter...

thanks for the links Peter i will look into getting the step adapters when i have purchased some filters. How effective are the light pollution filters? and wheres the best place to purchase them?, i think i will need one as i do live in the city.

Regards

Ben

I have the Canon EOS 500D, and it works really well with my scope the celestron cpc 925?

If you get the right scope and the right camera, you can do some amazing astrophotography!!

Thanks, i think the 550 is pretty similar to the 500 just a newer version, i am swaying towards the 1100d though as i can use the difference in cost towards some more kit.

regards

Ben

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just a quick update after lots of twoing and frowing i have decided to go for the newer 600d as it comes with a swivil screen, which will be very helpfull when using with my scope. I will post my pics when i get a chance to use it, thanks again,

Regards

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

Archived