Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

m31 first night with my heq5!

andyhicks

Hi everyone,

I started out only about a year ago and I can probably count on both hands the amount of time Ive actually spent out taking images, most of the time has been spent (literally) on upgrading everything all the time! my kit has become by most prized possesion. Other than a few problems Ive had and extensive time in the buy/sell fourm I havent really posted much at all so tonight has been a first for lots of things!

On monday my new mount arrived so I've spent a lot of this week finding my way around, with thanks to Astro-baby's guide. Tonights been the first clear night in a while so I was keen to get out and try it, expecting to be fumbling around most the night I was surprised to get a bit of imaging done. Im also using my field flattener for the first time, I was using a 1.25" nosepiece before and Im well impressed with the stars near the edge, previous images looked like a time warp, I had to crop a lot out! Taking the time to align the polar scope and set the circles indoors made setting up a breeze, beforehand I could get a minute max from my vixen GP so Im well chuffed with the heq5! I took a 3 min exposure for a test and it was perfect, it was too bright but still, sooo much better than what im used to. Im really chuffed tonight, everythings coming into place, im all set for the winter!!

Anways, seeing as setting up went so quickly I sent the mount to Andromeda (bang on in the centre of the e.p) Ive never imaged a galaxy before and just the subs had me smiling. My best finished image to date was the pleiades a couple of weeks back when it was warm, terrible conditions but I picked up some of the nebula so that was a win for me, my first acceptable image I could show with a bit of pride. Ill try and put a picture up.

Well here it is, I cant get my head around the processing bit, got a lot of practicing to do. I need any help, criticism or suggestions you've got! It should be noted that in my excitment I forgot to switch to RAW :) so they were JPEG subs. I got to say Im not amazingly impressed with it, the simple joy of what it and the fact that I did it makes it good enough until next time. Its made up of 24x105sec subs, 10 darks, 10 bias and 10 flats, I did the flats with a tshirt pointed at a light but theres a horrible mark near the bottom so I need to work on them. Im hoping next time will be a bit more fluid and more of the neighbours turn their lights off! oh and the clouds came in so I was done by 12.

Sorry for rambling, its 3am and im still well happy with everything! time for a brew..

Andy :)

e2a: I think theres a big difference between these two, the field flattener is awesome! I think m31 has to be my best to date!

post-19246-133877680874_thumb.jpg

post-19246-133877680882_thumb.jpg

Id like put the original file up and ask some of you to see what you can do but I dont know how to!

Also im not sure whether its the flattener or that I clicked align RBG in DSS but it came out really green, I lessened it a bit but I still think its a bit green looking at it again..

Archived