Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 - Experiments with belt drive

malc-c

WOW - Just received the pre-production sample of the spacer that will fit between the mount and the gearbox cover (pictures to follow later). To say it's the dogs cahoona's would be an understatement !! - Laser cut black perspex - looks so professional :icon_salut:

Based on the pricing for this and the machining of the pulleys I should be able to offer a complete kit posted to the door via recorded delivery for £80 based on an initial small production run of 5 kits. I'm waiting permission to post a "kits for sale" post on the forum from the Admin team, and need to purchase the pulleys and have them machined, so it will be a few weeks before the kits are ready... but if you are interested in a kit drop me a PM and I'll keep you posted.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Malc,

Looking forward to seeing the pics and could well be interested.

John

Cheers John,

I've attached a picture of the laser cut spacer. The fit is fantastic, gives good clearance of the pulleys and belts, and also looks cool on the mount.

The good news is that based on the pricing for these and the machining of the pulleys and sourcing a cheaper supplier for packaging, I can do these kits for £80 delivered 1st class recorded.

post-23388-133877725147_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi John

I put together a batch of three sets based on the PM's I received, and have (finally) sold the last remaining two this weekend. I wasn't planning on putting together any more kits due to the costs in producing them in small batches, however if you are interested drop me a PM. If there is enough interest and you're not in a hurry then I might re-consider

• 1 month later...

Chris & Pete, thanks for your kind comments.

I'm still bouncing around the living room, high on adrenaline :) - This is only the second time in my life I've ever had my name in a national publication - so yes I'm chuffed to bits. I would like to thank Martin Mobberley for his support and encouragement to submit an article. He had his work cut out condensing the material I sent him :rolleyes:

Chance are that I'll be running a further batch of kits if one of the inquiries I've received works out, so if anyone is still interested in a kit please drop me a PM for more details.

So excited I'm going out to celibate with a beer or three tonight :eek:

• 4 months later...

Good news for anyone wanting to convert their HEQ5 or EQ6 to belt drive. Belting Online now offer a custom machining option on these pulleys. Their website offers a re-bore to stock sizes, but they also have the facility to reduce the thickness of the pulleys to the required dimensions. OK the cost isn't cheap, costing more for the machining of the 60t than the pulley itself, but you should be able to pick up a set of machined pulleys for around £60 inc vat and delivery.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well after dropping a mail to Belting Online they now have a complete kit of parts (excluding the spacer and screws) that can be found via the link below

http://www.beltingonline.com/heq5-belt-mod-drive-kit-12097

£51.52 plus delivery and VAT

For the CNC machined spacer, please drop Keith a line at Morris Engraving http://www.morris-engraving.co.uk/starsharp.htm

Archived