Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomik Clip Filters - Which one?

Dann

Howdy

More of a question about filters than cameras but this is probably the best place for it.

I’m treating myself to an astro modified 1100D, most probably pre modified by Astronomiser and I would like to grab a CLS clip filter for it.

The camera will be purely for astro use so ill just be having the filter removed. I believe the 1100D has two stock filters, one of which already blocks UV/IR?

Can anyone confirm that and if that’s the case will I just need the standard CLS filter or will I be better off with the CCD CLS version?

If its premodded is there a filter replacement option with IR Blocking?

I have used both types in a normal DSLR and could notice any difference.

They are very good if you have lots of Sodium glow.

Thanks.

I have just found this:

It may now be better for you to consider a filter removal rather than a replacement if you own a dual filter camera, i.e., 400D, 450D, 500D, 550D, 40D, 50D, 1000D or 1100D.

Blocking UV and IR light.

In a dual filter camera, the front filter blocks UV and IR light with a very sharp cut off at the edges of the visible spectrum. This is information that has come to light recently when a well known filter manufacturer tested these filters after noting that they blocked IR light. The filter blocks UV and IR very effectively and is of very high quality. This means that no second filter is required to block UV and IR and the Baader filter would not do a better job.

Reading above I take it that I won’t require the UV/IR blocking from the CCD CLS version and can go for the cheaper standard one? Forgive me for maybe asking silly questions but it always nice to check with someone else before possibly buying the wrong thing :-)

I experienced the exact same issue when I bought a "full spectrum modded" 1000D.

I use it for spectroscopy and found the "full" spectrum was still cut off at 400nm and 700nm - just like the Baader UV-IR filters!!

For my purposes I had the front filter also removed - now I have REAL "full spectrum" - access all the way from 380nm up into the NIR.

Unfortunately with both filters removed the camera no longer focuses with standard lenses. This is overcome by using a Clear Astronomik clip in filter....

HTH

Archived