Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging Source DFK 21

Fedex arrived early this morning, thanks FLO, and delivered my new Imaging Source Camera, a DFK 21AU618.

I'm really pleased with it's build quality, I wasn't expecting it to so chunky :)

So as the thread says, I'm looking to get the best out of my new toy, so what tips can you guys recommend?

What are the best setting to use for the camera? Should I use the capture software that comes boxed with it, or stick to Shapcap?

Thanks in advance

Hi Will,

I've just posted very similar questions having just got my DFK 21 AU618. Have you had a chance to master some settings yet? I too would like to know what the best video format and codec settings are and also, whether there is any benefit to shooting with debayering off and what would I process with in that situation.

As Rik says IC Capture or Firecapture. I've found the default setting of 100 gamma is best (works differently to a webcam in this respect). Use the y800 codec for colour and video producing a mono RAW avi that can be debayered in Registax (Reg 6 tick "pre-filter" then GB Debayer option.).

Depending on your scope size i've been using 60fps @ 1/61 sec exposure (bug in program means 1/60 sec will not produce 60fps) with my 10" Dob. I've found that auto white balance works fine for Jupiter.

If you use Castrator make sure you tick "debayer safe" before running through Registax.

Be careful if you use YUY2 Codec this will produce a colour preview but mono avi if used with y800 colour codec (use RGB24 colour codec if you want a colour avi without needing to debayer though this will be a very large file and wont produce 60fps)

Archived