NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Western Veil in Ha, a reduced scope Summer project

PaulKummer

My grand plan this Summer was a NB mosaic of the Western Veil - some hope:(. Indeed, I ended up struggling to get even the Ha and had to resort to salvaging data I would normally bin. Having said that I'm reasonably pleased with the way this has turned out. The less ambitious plan for next year is to get some Oiii.

So, a 3 pane mosaic, roughly 5 hours for each pane with a mixture of 10 and 5 minute subs.

Aquisition: WO Megrez 72 with 0.8x, Atik 314L, MaximDL.

Processing: PI for calibration and stacking, Registar and PS for putting it all together.

The full sized image can be viewed here

Comments always welcome

Paul

paulkummer-albums-deep-space-picture14058-western-veil-mosaic.jpg

This is a splendid result, your processing has really brough out Pickering's Triangle very strongly, tendrils from PT are glorious. With the 2 narrowbands (Ha+O3) or just an RGB with Ha this will be really beautiful. Don't bin any of the narrowbands as it does not work just use longer subs.

John.

Excellent and very deep result....treat it as a project over a couple of years....looking forwards to next years addition!

I agree with the comments above regarding binning narrowband.....it'll wreck your stars.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks all

...... Don't bin any of the narrowbands as it does not work just use longer subs.

Definitely - I have tried binning and not done very well so I avoid it now.

..... Which of the exposuretimes works best for you?

I much prefer 10 mins. I only took the 5 mins because my polar alignment was not good enough for longer:( This has happened for my last few outings so I will have to check the polar scope hasn't moved in the mount. (Or perhaps I just can't see straight anymore!)

Paul

Archived