Eyepieces & Dobsonians

Hi

Am new to this forum and would describe myself as a novice astronomer!

Have recently purchaded a Skyliner 8'' Dobsonian (after a lot of research re a good starter scope for use at home). Have had a few clear nights so far and been able to take the scope outside and am pretty impressed with what I've managed to see.

To get to the point I have a 25mm eyepiece that came with the scope and also a 10mm I bought in readiness. I have also been given as a gift (from an astronomer friend) a Celestron Ultima 17mm eyepiece. When I used it with the scope I was unable to get a clear view of anything or even focus it. I assume I'm being a bit dim but can't figure out why it doesn't seem to be producing images.

Would appreiciate any advice and also some recommendations for eye pieces to use with the Dob.

Many thanks

StevieB :D

Hi

Nice choice of scope.:D

Some eyepieces require more focuser travel than the focuser will allow.

You could try racking the focuser right out then manually pulling the eyepiece out to see if that will do it.

If so, you simply need an extension piece for the focuser when using that eyepiece.

I have to do this when using one of my eyepieces in one of my scopes.

Regards Steve

Hi Stevie, as a general rule I have stuck to low to medium magnification with wide-field vews wherever possible, works great in my 200mm scope and I imagine this policy would work well with you, my advice is to keep away from high mags, to me these scopes are better for DSO's and wide-field studies.

Archived