Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece field lens dirt removal...?

What is the safe way to remove stuck on dirt particles on bottom of the eyepiece lens? Some of my old eyepieces need cleaning. They show up while observing bright objects. I tried blowing them out and brushing them out. Since the lens is further up in the barrel, the dirt is harder to get to. How can I safely remove these particles? Pat

Too many stars too little time

I assume that you mean the lens that is in the bottom of the eyepiece?

If so then unscrew the 1.25 threaded barrel and you will get at it easier.

Then clean by whatever means you are most comfortable with. Proprietry cleaning fluid, IPA+H2O, warm moist breath or whatever, and the cloth/material you are again happy with, lens cleaning cloth, cotton wool bud, toilet tissue or end of shirt.

As said above, unscrew the barrel part that holds the EP in the focuser (You may need to apply a bit of a force but no worries) and try ear-cleaning sticks or a piece of a very soft fabric for cleaning spectacles (serves me the best), that is how I clean my eyepieces. No detergent needed. When using it regularly, the cleaning cloth may eventually get greasy from your hands and this might cause smudges that will make your teeth grind so wash it regularly in a detergend your girlfriend/wife might use for her delicates. However I am curious about various other tips

Archived