Fist Imaging attempts with Toucam/K3CCD/Registax, comments and advice welcome!

Hi Guys,

Had my first session attepting to do some imaging last night. Modded SPC900, SW200P EQ5, Manually guided.

I focussed on a couple of very obvious objects. Jupiter first off - not great seeing last night as i live in surburban Berkshire and the moon was very close to Jupiter last night. Image is proceesed and stacked using Registax 6 and GIMP. Not a bad effort but the overall image quality is low. Maybe a focussing issue? Was pleased to get Io in the image casting a lovely shadow onto the surface.

mp9.jpg

Secondly I went for the moon, but rather than go for the whole disc (which I couldn't anway, I guess I need a focal reducer!) I made Tycho my main subject. Quite happy with this as a first attempt. i need to work on my processing thought to get it more contrasty.

mp2.jpg

Again not brilliant but sertainly getting there. i am quite encouraged. K3CCD tools was easy to use, Registax needs some work but overall for poor seeing i am happy.

I would welcome any feedback, mainly on how I can get the image sharper - some of the images i see on the forums, admittedly with far superior CCD's are a lot sharper, maybe i need to look at a better focusser?

Nice first attempts! Quite some detail on Jupiter, showing a dark area in the North Equatorial Belt, and the GRS in the southern counterpart (it's quite pale at the moment). How many frames did you stack? More frames gives more photon = better signal to noise, which means more leeway in wavelet processing. Focus also needs to be spot on for best results.

Hi Michael,

It was a 100 sec capture at 10 frames a second, according to Registax the top 905 went into the Jupiter pics, I have the setting quite high (or low depending on your point of view)

What you you reccomend a longer capture to give me more quality frames and then tighter on the % quality of the frames I use?

Archived