NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Amazingly bright flare tonight

LukeSkywatcher

Hi all

I was on my way home tonight and just as went onto my driveway i saw the brightest flare that i have ever seen. It was traveling roughly NW-SE (maybe even directly N-S) @ APPROX 20:20pm. I only caught the latter half of the flare when it was at its brightest and then faded out. I could still track the satellite with the naked eye though after it faded.

It was the most exciting thing i have seen in months in the night sky. I cant seem to find any details of it on Heavens-Above. I thought it could have been ROSAT(?), but the time was wrong.

Just wondering if anyone else saw it.

Paul

It's a highly reflective part of an artificial Satellite briefly catching the sunlight, usually one of the Iridium ones. Their brightness depends on their elevation at the site of the observer, the brightest ones are around magnitude -7 :rolleyes:.

whats a flare sorry if it sounds a stupid question i dont no what one is lol

The website called 'heavens-above' that LukeSkywatcher mentioned can predict these flares and gives details about them and the satelites that produce them. Really interesting :rolleyes:

Archived