Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik Titan in planetary mode

Sammyb

Hello - I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using the Atik Titan (colour variant) in planetary mode? I have been having a go at using the camera to image Jupiter and am quite disappointed with the results - either that or I am doing something wrong. The results don't look as good as that in gepettos review on this forum.

The results I have got so far a not as good as what I could achieve with the basic Phillips SPC900NC. I am pleased I can get Jupiters moons on the image as well as the planet (couldn't do that with the Phillips) but the colour is poor (very blue).

I also seem to be stuggling with processing the FITS files in registax. I was wondering whether I have to convert to TIFF or bmp in ARTEMIS RGB and process those in Registax - although I would prefer to use the FITS files in Registax.

If anyone has any experience of this I would appreciate it if you could give me any pointers.

Thanks,

Sam

Some test images would be nice to see how the problem looks. Color balance can always be fixed. FITS should be handled without problems in Registax.

Titan isn't used as a planetary camera like the DMK21 is. It was intended as a high end guider (and maybe entry level long exposure camera) and will be as "hard" to use on planets as other similar 16-bit DS cam.

Thanks. I'll post an iamge in a few mins.

I was thinking the Titan wouldn't be as good as a dedicated planetary camera like a DMK but I was expecting it to be better than the Phillips SPC 900NC. It seems to be more sensitive as it is picking up the Jovian moons but the image don't look great.

When I've tried to process the FITS files in registax it seems to go through the process but when it gets to the "Wavelet" tab the image goes blank. Either that or the planet will be green! I am selecting debayer at the start but am not sure of what other settings should be.

Cheers,

Sam

Check the "Do all" and save the image without using wavelets, or go to one tab before the wavelets tab - there shoulbe a save option too (Registax 5).

You get the moons as the camera has bigger dynamic range (16 bit) and/or due to uncompressed output.

Hello - this a typical sub - i think it was about 0.06s exposure or something like that. It is a 24-bit bmp file I created from a FITS file in Artemis RGB.

I turned it into a Jpg just so I can upload on the forum.

post-22480-133877675419_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

I've been through the same issues so far.

As a little encouragement, while I'm in the process of further testing the camera for planetary shoots, once I got the exps in Registax the final result was not so bad (in my first and so far only successful attempt), but I'm yet not too satisfied either and want to try more. The original takes looked pretty much like those posted above.

At any rate the main issue is that Registax does not like 16bit FIT files -- this has been referred to me by the Registax support itself.

I have resorted to use ImageTOOLSca to convert to 16bit tiffs first. The other day, I tried my second batch conversion and found that my temp license had expired, so I've been taking the chance to further see if there are other free alternatives to batch converting these Titan's FITs.

Indeed, one person at Atik's support says that Titan (or Capture anyway) should allow saving in 16bit TIFF. I have a question in for them to explain how as I can't see that in the manuals.

If anyone figures this out before me, please post.

• 5 weeks later...
cheers for looking at that.

I'll keep fiddling but I guess I may have to stick to the Phillips SPC900NC for planetary work. Either that or put a DMK on my xmas list.

Just wondering if you got anywhere solving this? I am having a similar problem stacking fits files from my IMG0H camera in Registax 6. I can get Registax to display colour subs by selecting the correct debayer pattern, but when I stack the images the result is just the green channel.

Not sure if this is a problem with the camera, the capture software (EZPlanetary from QHY is a bit notorious!), or Registax...

• 1 year later...

Archived