NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mono vs Colour..QHY5v

Gunnar

:( Hi!

I am now going to buy my first guidecamera and I am chosing between the QHY5v MONO Guidecam or the COLOUR model. I also like the benefit of using this camera for planetary imaging, so I think it would be great chosing the colour cam. However the guiding Is the most important thing.

My guidescope is a Skywatcher ST-80 refractor.

For what I understand when reading forum threads there is a higer sensitivity on the mono cameras and that`s recomended for guiding.

How big is this difference?

Will the QHY5v "Colour" Guidecamera be a good working choice as a guidecam thru my ST-80 guidescope, or must I go the "mono-way"

Gunnar

Oh! and again, sorry for my spelling. :)

I asked this very question that Bernard at Modern Astronomy, and this is what he said

With regard to imaging:

Mono is more complicated & expensive but has more resolution, sensitivity and flexibility.

So are you a perfectionist or do you want convenience?

With regard to guiding mono is the clear winner.

Hope that helps

Mono will always be more flexible, however if you intend to use it as a planetary Cam fairly frequently then you might consider the colour option as capturing RGB and possibly even L or IR to form a colour image on planets can be quite tricky as you need to be very quick to change the colours over.

Okay.

But I also need the guiding to work, will it do that if I chose the colour cam? I dont want the guiding to failure.

To be fair, you have to accept a slight compromise one way or the other by trying to justify one thing for two jobs :)

The colour will guide fine, it just won't be quite as good/sensitive as the mono.

The mono will image fine, it just won't be quite as easy as the colour if you want colour images.

To be fair, you get in this position by trying to justify one thing for two jobs :)

Yes I now :)

I am a newbie so I dont understand if I need the high sensitivity either :(

Maybe I do, I think!

Archived