Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cern and Neutrinos

Could the Neutrino arriving quicker than be expected actually be a measurement of Precession ?

In short: No.

In long: Precession is the earth wobbling like a top on its rotational axis. This makes the north pole wobble around the sky a bit over centuries, but has no effect on how far it is from one place on the earth to another. Just like a wobbling spinning top doesn't change the relative position of two points on its surface.

Just rediscovered my (onetime!) "Bible": :)

Particle Data Group (Good stuff, honest!)

Now that the recent furore has (inevitably?) died down, it's interesting to ponder "physical constants". In bygone years, the above used to plot out the variations in the aforementioned... The "speed of light" even! One sensed the variations in the above were as much "psychological" as physical... Latest results confirmed previous ones - It's HARD to go against the tide etc. The speed of light is now inherently DEFINED maybe? Interesting stuff, nonetheless. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Could the Neutrino arriving quicker than be expected actually be a measurement of Precession ?

As an Exoticist, I prefer the exotic lateral line of thought that neutrinos tunnel via higher dimensions.

Think of a wormhole connecting two very distant parts of the universe as a stargate ...

Honestly, had no Beer or Drink yet, completely sober response :rolleyes:

heh. It turns out that I may have been right about them forgetting to factor in the speed of the satellite.

Even Jim al-Khalili was excited when I told him as it meant he stood a good chance of not having to eat his shorts. :)

Special Relativity May Answer Faster-than-Light Neutrino Mystery

Its a great answer. One GPS Clock in orbit "relative" to one clock on the ground!

2 x 32ns

It does indeed fit extremely well ...

Archived