NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laser pointers

andyc277

Dazzled, blinded, I suppose you could grade it in various ways, but the environment for a pilot needs to be understood;

We're talking night time here so we can safely assume the pilots are somewhat tired, the cockpit lights are very very dim to be able to make out ground features and the job involves landing in sometimes demanding conditions on a runway that may not be lit up the way you'd hope! Now a green laser hits your eyes and you are collecting more photons in an instant than a fat Mak could only dream of during a 10 min sub, and then you ask your eyes to rapidly adjust back to dark vision and to read your instruments of which all important ones are - yes - green. You have 60 seconds before touchdown. At this stage you can not autoland i.e. let the autopilot land due to the way that needs to be prepared and setup - and how the whole airport has to be in so called Low Visibility Procedures to make it legal and even if you wanted to then the various lights and symbols on your screens that tell you what the autopilot is doing are naturally green too.

It's just a far cry from a lit up environment without important green information you need to follow haha

Got beamed again today in France...

/Jessun

Absolutley- but not blinding in the literal sense. No permanent eye damage can occur. I get 'blinded' every night by twonks with overbright headlights driving the other way. The only difference is I'm not flying a plane with 300 passengers on board....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived