Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ3/2 Polar Alignment issues

Hi everyone,

Last night I tried to polar align my EQ3/2 mount ... and boy was it tough. Firstly, I didn't realise how much crouching one has to do behind (and below) the mount. Bent into all sorts of shapes I was.

I don't have a polar scope for this mount, was just using the inbuilt view finder. Main problem was that I couldn't see the actual graticule against the night sky so had no idea whether Polaris was centred or not. I managed to 'bulls eye' what I thought was Polaris in the centre of the finder. Is polar aligning normally this difficult with an EQ3/2 mount and basic finder?

Cheers

Pete

Yes.

If you get a polar scope consider one with an illuminated reticule, or get the circuit and mod to do it yourself.

The bending and contorsions come with the mount.

Still have the contortions with the better finders and mounts, maybe not so bad but they are still there.

I've only just started so please take what I say with a very large pinch of salt...

Of the 2 nights I have attempted to polar align my EQ5 mount (unlit polar scope) I've had one complete failure and one good result.

The failure was similar to yourself, too dark, couldn't make out the reticule, not even sure if was Polaris in the scope!

The success; I polar aligned at twilight so could easily see the level bubble and scope reticule and only Polaris was visible in that part of the sky - so I could be certain the star I was aligning on was the correct one.

I won't be able to use this trick when it's dark a lot earlier, but hopefully by then I'll be a bit more used to my equipment.

Iain

Polar alignment is I think over complicated. I have had my eq5 for a year now and when I am imaging all I do is plonk my scope down so the letter N on the tripod leg is generally facing the north star. Next i look through my polar scope and put the north star in line with the little circle then adjust the scope up or down till the north star is in the circle. I use a red bike torch to illuminate it inside by holding it just above the hole. Should only take 15 min tops. If your going to be doing long exsposures takes a bit more time but most nights I can align in less then ten minutes. Practise makes you neck hurt ;-)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Polar alignment is I think over complicated. I have had my eq5 for a year now and when I am imaging all I do is plonk my scope down so the letter N on the tripod leg is generally facing the north star. Next i look through my polar scope and put the north star in line with the little circle then adjust the scope up or down till the north star is in the circle. I use a red bike torch to illuminate it inside by holding it just above the hole. Should only take 15 min tops. If your going to be doing long exsposures takes a bit more time but most nights I can align in less then ten minutes. Practise makes you neck hurt ;-)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

That's the same way I do it. I use a red LED head lamp and hold it facing into my hand and then stick just the tip of my finger over the top hole in the mount. This gives just enough illumination to see the reticule without blinding you. I kneel down on a little foam 'camping seat'. Basically just a square of camping mat foam.

Hi all

Just thought i would add an addition

I also have issues im quite new got an Eq3 with goto it has a polar scope but i have a problem working out where polaris should be in this scope.

I have an app on my iphone tells me where to put it but not sure in im lookin through invert view or actual view.

I mean when i normally align its at just before sunset is oviously best time

Polaris one of the first stars in the sky for sure so not hard to miss.

Hope this helps and hope one of you could enlighten me

:)

Thanks

Brian

When you look through the polar scope you should see a large circle with a cross in the centre and a little circle somewhere on the line marking the big circle. If your polar scope is calibrated for your location, you set the time on your RA axis to line up with the date on the polarscope clock and the use the alt and az adjusters on the mount until Polaris is right in the middle of the little circle. The cross in the big circle marks the position of the real celestial pole (nothing there to see though!)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I have another problem now which is a bit odd. Tonight I thought I would make sure the polar finder is aligned within the mount. So I look through the polar finder at a point not far away. It's out of focus so I turn the little plastic ring on the eye piece part of the polar finder. As I turn the plastic ring to alter the focus, the circle and cross hair within the field of view rotates around the centre of view. Definitely doesn't stay in the same place when I change the focus (I'm not rotating the mount in RA ... and am using the standard built in polar finder ... maybe this is the issue?)

Does this mean that polar finder is not properly centred in the mount? If so, how can I align it properly? There are only two small grub screws on the black plastic rims. What do the three silver locking screws do?.

Many thanks

Pete

Archived