Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Great night in Lincs.

Astro Imp

Got set up early last evening, went in and had my dinner then came out and had great night.

As it wasn't quite dark when I started first looked at Eta Cas, got a good split but the sky wasn't really steady then went down to Eta Persei and much as before.

As it was getting darker now went up to the Double Cluster. I find this really hard to locate (any tips please) but got there in the end - lovely.

Next went up to Cassiopeia, looking to see some of the open clusters here. Not sure if I hit M103, there are just so many stars and faint smudges around here that I found it difficult to be sure. Next moved on to the other clusters in the area, NGS 663, pretty surre of this one.

Went up to NGC 7789, hunted around the area and think I got there in the end.

By this time Jupiter had shown itself from around my neighbour's house. Had a good long look and could clearly make out two dark bands, not sure about some other markings as your eyes start to play tricks. Obviously picked out the four main moons with Io very close to the planet.

Time to move on I next decide to have a look at Almach, first time for me, found it easily and thought it lovely but the sky still not very steady.

Since I do my observing from my light poluted back garden I haven't bothered looking at galaxies and nebulae before but thought why not give M31 a try. To my amazement found it first time and was very suprised at what I could see. To shut out all the stray light from neighbours kitchens, bedrooms bathrooms etc. I viewed this wonder with a towel over my head. (If anyone had seen me they would have thought I was a canditate for the funny farm :)) By spending time like this the spread of faint light around the central brightness just grew and grew until it stetched out of my FOV especially when I used averted vision.

Before I packed up I thought I would have a last look at Jupiter

After enjoying this giant I had a quick naked eye scan and saw that the Pleiades had just risen from behind my neighbours house so had to have a look at this. I think M45 is my favourite object as it was the very first I saw when getting my scope earlier in ther year.

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble but if you have thanks for reading.

All the best to you all.

Your really are up against it Alan with all the LP you have to deal with!

I use this method to find the Double Cluster, draw a line from Gamma Cas through Delta Cas and then make the same jump distance wise between them twice and just off to the right side of that line you get the Double Cluster. Not entirely accurate but works for me. Its always a magical sight. :)

Nice report.

I use this method to find the Double Cluster, draw a line from Gamma Cas through Delta Cas and then make the same jump distance wise between them twice and just off to the right side of that line you get the Double Cluster. Not entirely accurate but works for me. Its always a magical sight. :)

Thanks Alan, that's what I try but usually seem to miss the target. Must try harder :p

Nice report. Regarding finding things, using a Telrad only allows you to search based on naked eye stars, which is all very well when you have no LP, but is a real pain in even moderate LP. I find that a large right-angle, correct-image finder works wonders. I built a 10x50 finder from a broken pair of bins for my old Newtonian in the past, and now have a 16x70 (OK 45 deg, but still correct image) finder, built from a cheapo 70mm f/5 achromat from a department store. A finder makes all the difference in getting your scope spot on. I would not remove the Telrad. Rather, use the Telrad to get to the right area, and then use the finder to get to exactly the right spot.

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the tips re finders.

ATM I use the Telrad to put me in the right area and home in using the scope with a 32mm EP. Perhaps not ideal but it gets me there in the end.

When the pennies are saved I'll be looking to get a RACI.

Thanks again for your help.

Archived