Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Great nights viewing

BigBlueOne

Had another fabulous nights viewing last night, at the moment Im only doing the 3 star alignment, but Im doing it repeatedly until

Im comfortable enough to move onto drift aligning.

I want to be able to run through these procedures without

thinking about them but having said that it makes me feel good

when that 3 star alignment is successful, and polaris is on its line.

Everyone should at one time in there life be given a telescope for one nights viewing it puts things in perspective, plus my troubles

just drift off.

BigBlueOne

Its very satisfying setting up the kit, doing the checks, calibrating the infamous polar alignment, balancing the scope etc and away you go - very satisfying. In fact I was observing with my refractor with the remainder being Dobsonian users last night and felt at one point that my observing was some how getting a little bit complicated as I could hear the wows and whoooos from all directions. Voices in the dark were heard to ask if I had installed some new silent motors as they couldn't hear anything down my end. Revenge is sweet and I didn't have to wait long to breath in its sweet perfume, as I started to get some casual visitations from my dobsonian colleagues who needed a little help locating neptune amongst other things. Plenty of objects seen including the red spot on jupiter (never seen it before) It was a great night, dew didn't start to appear but only slight until very early in the morning with a lot of banter and constant 'fluid extraction' throughout the session, but that all part of the experience. Glad you enjoyed your session too!

James

Was outside myself last night. I also had a fantasic time and bagged a few new things that I hadn't seen before. Mars transiting past the Beehive Cluster. Also saw the Orion Nebular for the first time through a scope. And lastly at about 4.00 when Jupiter was high in the south had a fabulous view of that and it's moons. All in all a great night.

Totally agree. I've been out of the country so last night was the first decent night I've had in yonks. Got some good first light from M31 on my Atik 383L...

To top it all, when I went out to pack up at about 5:30 this morning I had a great view of Mars and saw a nice meteor pass north-south alongside Orion. An excellent reminder of why this hob can be so rewarding!

Archived