Skywatcher200p has gone... advice pls

hi guys - ok my skywatcher 200p was a bit of a beast to carry outside everytime it stopped raining ! i have sold it now and would like to find something as good (if not better) but which weighs a lot less and is less huge .... is there such a thing - or is size a comprise for power.

Maybe a short tube Mak or Sct would fit your bill? The Heq5 is a nice tidy mount to put an 8" on, but make sure you find out the mount load capacity and be sure the scope is within that. Or you could downsize to a 6" one if you've kept the Eq5 (or get a CG5GGT Goto if you didn't.

You'd have a very nice planetary scope and a .63 reducer would give reasonable dso hunting ability. Just a few ideas :)

presumably this is still very good at picking out saturns rings, jupiters bands as well though ?

i dont think i want to reduce to a 6" - id feel like i was missing out haha :) wish i had a garden observatory!

thanks ags as well, looking into that now !

Maybe a short tube Mak or Sct would fit your bill? The Heq5 is a nice tidy mount to put an 8" on, but make sure you find out the mount load capacity and be sure the scope is within that. Or you could downsize to a 6" one if you've kept the Eq5 (or get a CG5GGT Goto if you didn't.

You'd have a very nice planetary scope and a .63 reducer would give reasonable dos hunting ability. Just a few ideas :p

Yup - an 8" Sct will be great for Saturns rings cos you'll get a 2 mtr focal length giving great resolving power. I had the 8" CPC and Saturn was just stunning on a good night - but I got aperture fever and went the other way to you lol :)

As i understand it the CPC is much more stable than the SE but it is a lot heavier. Also with the SE you mount different scopes whereas the CPC is built around a specific OTA.

You are going to have to change your user name as well you know, unless you take up my suggestion below :p

I'd be thinking about a 200P dobsonian - slightly slower scope so good for planets, and the moon as well as DSO's, very portable, very easy to setup, small footprint for storage.

I fear that, having sampled 200mm of aperture, a smaller aperture scope will leave you feeling unfulfilled :)

haha yes i know - was thinking something a little more varied then 200p.

although i have been looking at the 200p dob... so it may still work.

that storage unit - is it totally waterproof ie can be used to leave the scope outside (or is that a VERY bad idea )

You are going to have to change your user name as well you know, unless you take up my suggestion below :(

I'd be thinking about a 200P dobsonian - slightly slower scope so good for planets, and the moon as well as DSO's, very portable, very easy to setup, small footprint for storage.

I fear that, having sampled 200mm of aperture, a smaller aperture scope will leave you feeling unfulfilled :)

Archived