Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ring nebula

Andrew

Conditions were pretty good last night although not as exceptional as Wednesday. Started by looking at M44 and M67 in Cancer. Made a sketch of M67 which was very attractive, particularly at high magnifications (x200) when a large number of stars were resolved (perhaps c. 120-140). Took a look at a couple of galaxies that I haven't seen for a while (M63, M64 and M101). Only the core of M101 was visible and that was pretty faint, but then I've struggled to see this one before in my smaller scope due to its large size and low surface brightness. M64 was very nice ~ the black eye was very distinct as a dark curve running around about half the galaxy's core. Spent a while on M92 and M13 in Hercules and finally managed to find the propeller. Finished with a look at the ring nebula in Lyra. Silly really because it is still very low but I couldn't resist, having only seen it before in a small scope. It was very impressive - incredibly bright, clear hole with some signs of faint structure in the outer areas - can't wait to get a look at this and the dumbell when they're higher up later in the year :D

Archived