NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alt-Az for a heavy 5" f/8

Ben Ritchie

I'm not familiar with the higher-capacity Alt-Az mounts, and trying to find out if something (plus Berlebach tripod) would be good for my AP130 f/8.

Main one so far is the Tele-Optic Giro 3, so any feedback? Alternatives welcome too. Would basically be looking for something very smooth and stable and suitable for up to 200x, and would really prefer a decent Alt-Az (if one exists) to my EQ6.

edit: as another thought, currently all the mounting hardware for the 130 is Losmandy, do any of the Alt-Az mounts have a Losmandy dovetail, or are they all Vixen?

I'm currently using an ED120 on a 'WO EZ Touch' handles the OTA with ease & is a pleasure to use, somebody did a very good review some time back;

http://stargazerslounge.com/member-equipment-reviews/60269-william-optics-eztouch-alt-az-mount.html

understand you can get losmandy plates for these as well. There are other models around, but it is the only one I can recommend from personal experience.

EAZY TOUCH ALT-AZ Mount with Wooden Tripod - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop

I always thought the Skytee 2 was problematic, and not one of SW's finest - was I wrong?

Superb mount, it's changed the way I observe. My mount is just as smooth as a Giro 3, but of course has the slo-mo controls. There's no way I could go back to a Giro 3 after having had the Skytee 2.

Having said that the weakness of the standard Skytee 2 is the cheap dovetail saddles. OK for light scopes but they should have used better ones. Fortunately FLO stocks the ADM replacement saddles that bolt straight onto the Skytee mount. Or you could fit Losmandy type saddles.

Here's a quote from Neil English about his new Skytee 2 that I hope he won't mind me posting here.

"Never have I been able to use it with such comfort and being comfortable can make a mediocre night into a great one I'm very impressed with the QC coming from SkyWatcher. It is quite remarkable given the amount of gear they sell. Indeed, I've never had a bad SkyWatcher product and this mount is no exception."

If cost were no object though I'd get the Trex Alt-Az mount.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/de/info/p4856_.html

John

Thanks, John.

My AE version takes my ED120 (5kg) no problem even without a weight, although a weight does smooth up azimuth motion a little.

My worry is that the 130EDT is probably double that - it's a very solidly-made 'scope, and is by no means overmounted on an EQ6. I wouldn't consider putting it on a HEQ5, for example.

Well, the Giro III eventually had to be overtaken by the addition of Slo-Mo. :)

But I will keep mine... Also find it invaluable now for those "indoor" jobs - like collimation, scope (equipment) fine-balancing etc. - "Drop Tested" another eyepiece yesterday (it survived!) while driving an HEQ5 into more adventurous positions out at the obsy. <G> Alt-Az is so much easier to keep tabs on... :p

Archived