NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stacking Problems!

Hi all, I stacked about 17 RAW images of a very faint M101 (which I've asked for help processing in another thread, but as JPEGs), and was delighted at the increase in detail. But it's when I saved it as the TIF, it went black and I had even less detail than the JPEGs of which there were fewer images stacked.

I just used the default settings for DSS as I haven't genned up on the sw yet! What have I done wrong?

Alexxx

Alex, what Jim said. You saved it with adjustments embedded. Therefore the image you see on screen in DSS is not what you get when you open the saved tif in PS. What you get is the ability to then stretch the image to pull the faint detail out (that's what the DSS adjustments do for you). You should work on the raw files, rather than the jpg though, as you then have the full saved data from the sensor, rather than what processing the camera thinks it needs (based on the profile you have selected at that time). You also have more bit depth to play with in the raw images.

I'm afraid I'm still having the same problem. I think I will have to gen up on DDS rather than ask you all to spend your time explaining it to me! But I will show you the difference in case you do want to spend more time! :) Here's a screenshot from DSS and the saved image (which I've had to convert to jpeg for this post)

Alexxx

post-14350-133877669845_thumb.jpg

post-14350-133877669851_thumb.jpg

Yep, looks pretty normal to me. you're saving without applying the dss adjustments. thus the stretch that dss is automatically applying (what you see on the screen and changes when you mess with the stuff at the bottom) isn't applied. You need to do that yourself in ps or similar savoy it that way. You do get more control lime this though.

Thanks John. I'll have to learn more about PS though. I can't seem to get it to stretch. I'm so hopeless! I really need another SGL imaging day where we all bring a fave pic and work on it with the experts helping!

Archived