Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Video astronomy observing lists?

michaelmorris

I've recently purchased a Samsung SDC-435 for our local astronomical society for use at public outreach events. It will be used purely for live viewing, not image capture.

From the limited use the camera has been put to so far, I am under the impression that these integrating video cameras really 'shine' when observing bright nebulous objects. Planetary nebulae (M27 and M57) seem particularly impressive. Galaxy views are nice, but not spectacular.

From this (albeit rather limited) experience it strikes me that the types of objects most likely to have a 'wow' factor with the general public are going to be the planets, the Moon, globular clusters, open clusters, bright nebulae and planetary nebulae.

Would anyone agree that this would be the best make up of a public live view video astronomy show?

If yes, then I am hoping to develop an observing list based on these criteria. The idea is to then upload this list as a tour on a GOTO handset.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Michael

It all depends on teh scope your using it on. I hve used the Mintron for public shows with a Mak127 to great effect.

M27, M57, M81 / M82 are all good. M31 ish (its still a blob), double cluster is spectacular, I even showed folks the flame and horsehead live with an ST120 once.

The bigger the scope the more wow you will get of course. Using a something like a C11 on M51 will blow their socks off and far more targets come into capability of the camera.

Philj

id imagine most of the messier list of objects will be good to show people, perhaps a poster of "hubble" images next to what u see live be useful and then another scope set up next to it showing the same object but visualy with the mk1 eye.

I think it depends, for me the Samsung works very well on bright nebulae and galaxies but star clusters are less appealing, they look fine but are just appear a bit flat and rather unexciting.

The best non-astronomer reaction so far though has been using it with a wide-angle lens to show 10+ degrees of sky - it easily hits 7th or 8th magnitude and is great for panning around to show constellations, asterisms etc.

Archived