Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Berlebach tripod for NEQ6 - worthwhile upgrade?

buzz

I'm not 'over the moon' about the standard NEQ6 tripod. The leg extensions do not clamp effectively and the assembly is begging for a leg spreader, such as that from tpiastro, but even that would not fix lower leg movements with moderate extension.

Would it be more effective to skip the add-on spreader and buy a Berlebach Planet? Is it a worthwhile upgrade to the standard tripod? I'd be interested in your views. (I have done a message search but found no direct comparison):p

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike - I took a look at the pictures of the EQ6 extension . There is not much info on the SW site - how does it locate top and bottom, for instance, does it allow for az adjustment with the two mount bolts?

Hmmm for a portable rig sounds a bit suspect. It seems nobody uses it without modification and requires a fiddly assembly each time. I don't miss the countless Allen keys and bolts associated with assembling my prior LX200. Thanks for the link to Orion. The customer reviews are enlightening. This is going to take some more thought.

Hmmm for a portable rig sounds a bit suspect. It seems nobody uses it without modification and requires a fiddly assembly each time. I don't miss the countless Allen keys and bolts associated with assembling my prior LX200. Thanks for the link to Orion. The customer reviews are enlightening. This is going to take some more thought.

Sorry for the delay in replying been at kielder since the 25th

I have had no problem with mine. The pier stays attached to the tripod and the top bit stays attached to the neq6. I then just drop the neq6 onto the pier once levelled (yes I still level it even though I know of the threads stating it does not need doing), turn the head until the three bolt holes are showing. I admit I have to use the three supplied bolts to attach them both together but once attached they have never shifted and I find it no more difficult then previously attaching the mount to the tripod. Again I find rough north before setting the tripod down and the adjustment bolts (Astrodevelopment) have no problem with the adjustments needed to find Polaris.

If you want I could post a few pics to show you.

Archived