NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GRS & Io

Demonperformer

Just a reminder that tomorrow morning (Wed 28th) Io and its shadow will be in transit of Jupiter at the same time as the GRS is visible.

Timetable (all times from Sept AN):
=======================
Transit starts: 3.01 BST
GRS crosses meridian: 4.20 BST
Shadow transit ends: 4.23 BST

So I guess between 3.30 and 4.00 would be a good time to image the event.

(There are four similar events - one with Io, three with Europa - in October if you miss this one)

Thanks very much for that, really want to catch a transit though doubt I will be able to stay up this time due to work.

I've seen that there is an Io transit is on 22nd Oct so am looking forward to catching that at PSP if it's clear.

Do you have dates for the others so I can check on stellarium?

Cheers

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Stu,

• 3rd/4th Oct Europa: 2300 Transit begins, 2330 GRS crosses meridian, 0008 Shadow ends
  • 5th Oct Io: 0445 Transit begins, 0500 GRS crosses meridian, continues into morning twilight
  • 11th Oct Eurpoa: 0015 GRS crosses meridian,0115 Transit begins, 0243 Shadow ends (AN states this is transit ends, but I think this is a misprint)
  • 28th Oct Europa: begins in evening twilight, 1900 GRS crosses meridian, 2110 Transit ends

HTH

Fabulous, thanks very much that helps alot :-) Should be able to catch at least one of those I hope.

Do you agree that there is also an Io transit on 22nd? My phone app is showing this and it also agrees with all the ones you posted so seems to be accurate.

Stu

Kh3,

Well, 22nd (above) is a Saturday evening, and there is also one on Sat 15th between about 8/9pm.

The 28th (listed in my first post) is a Friday evening, but the closest I can get to an 'early hours' one (during Oct) Sat 29th from about 2300 through to just before 0100 on Sunday morning.

These are all based on Cdc.

HTH

Kh3,

Well, 22nd (above) is a Saturday evening, and there is also one on Sat 15th between about 8/9pm.

The 28th (listed in my first post) is a Friday evening, but the closest I can get to an 'early hours' one (during Oct) Sat 29th from about 2300 through to just before 0100 on Sunday morning.

These are all based on Cdc.

HTH

Gah, didn't read carefully enough - thanks :p

Great, thanks. That's very good news, should be excellent, if clear........

I've heard of issues, with stellarium I think of the grs ' predictions' not being correct. Perhaps same issue for CdC?

Stu

Archived