Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Has anybody tried?

rowan46

Have seen this web site many time before and I am not sure what to think about that. Perhaps this camera is so good and sensitive plus f3.6 telescope can produce such a amazing images but why there is only one example on the entire internet. If this set up was so good, I would expect that everybody would go for similar option and have very good results without money spent on expensive mounts, guide systems and professional CCD cameras.

I don't suspect anything fishy, it is being used on a 22inch dob after all which is hardly a common scope. on paper it looks good, full sized sensor hence lower noise, compact camera size and able to use prime focus with full manual. It strikes me that with the addition of an autoguider there's the possibility of a portable imaging system that's not astrotrac maybe eq3 or 5?

I'm sure there have been discussions before about using 4/3 format cameras for astro imaging. One of the issues, as I recall, was that the sensor size, being smaller than the crop sensor Canon's, and therefore having more tightly packed pixels, has an inherent higher noise level.

It's a very interesting question though, and I suspect that part of it may be down to the high predominance of Canon in the astro imaging world.

this one isn't a 4/3 one its the same sensor they use in their full size dslr's this bit is from some sales blurb i found

Inside the Sony NEX-5

zexmorsensor250.jpgAPS-C with digicam features. The NEX-5 uses an all-new Sony Exmor CMOS sensor that combines the large, low-noise pixels of APS-C format chips with advanced high-speed features previously found only in Sony's Exmor-R digicam sensors. The photo above shows the sensor from the NEX-5 next to an Exmor-R sensor of the sort used in Sony's X-series digicams. (TX7, HX5v, etc)

Sensor. The Sony NEX-3 and NEX-5 have the company's third generation Exmor sensor. It is an APS-C sized HD-CMOS sensor that Sony says is 60% larger than a Four Thirds sensor, and 13 times larger than a typical video camera sensor, so they expect performance gains in both areas.

my apologies if this looks like spam its just that this seems such a good camera on the face of it for astro work surely someone has tried it? I just can't find any info good or bad about this one

Archived