NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Question about filters for 2" and 1.25" eyepieces

Simple question:

If I had two or three 1.25" eyepieces and one 2" eyepiece would I have to buy 2 sets of filters or is it possible to buy a set of 2" filters only and some sort of adaptor to fit them to the 1.25" eyepieces?

I fully realise that a 1.25" filter somehow fitted to a 2" eyepiece would not be a good idea but if a 2" filter can be somehow fitted to a 1.25" eyepiece then that would save some cash.

Another option is to use a 1.25-2 inch adaptor that is threaded for 2 inch filters (eg: the William Optics one). You can then attach your 2 inch filters to the adaptor when you are using 1.25 inch eyepieces and directly to the eyepiece when using 2 inch eyepieces.

John

Forgot to mention it's for a newt so no diagonal.

Would the 2" focusser fitted to the tube be supplied already with some sort of adaptor for 1.25" eyepieces? I would have thought that a 2" focusser should be able to accept both eyepiece sizes but I don't know if the adaptor for 1.25" eyepieces (if there is one) would be threaded for filters.

For what it's worth, I'll probably be upgrading to a Moonlite focusser after I get the 'scope. Do these have a threaded (for filters) adaptor?

I've just got a Moonlite CR2 and the adapter is threaded for 2" filters - pity I only have 1.25" filters already!

Thanks Andrew :D Just the information I needed as I'll probably be upgrading to one of those focussers once I've lived with the 'scope for a bit. 2" filters for me then.

I must get round to ordering the 'scope asap - a few niggly things to sort out first though (car repairs, holiday flight bookings, etc)

Archived