jupiters grs?

I had great views of jupiter on friday night and think i saw the GRS. Im using a small refractor at around 144 mag and the GRS seemed to be in the northern belt and on the right side as a I was looking at it.

I know scopes show images left to right etc and was wondering if i did see the GRS or could it be something else?

thanks

There are a few storms raging on the belts but you cannot mistake the GRS as it's huge. I'm not sure but I think you could check by using stellarium. You just adjust the time and date to suit but you will also have to adjust some script in the program. There was a post regards this some time ago as people noticed the GRS on stellarium didn't coincide with their views. It explained how to adjust the program to suit but once done you can then find out when the GRS is visible for future observing.

See the pic below which should now hopefully :glasses2: if I did it correctly resemble the view as seen through a refractor.

Only thing is that the GRS is embedded in the southern part of the South Equatorial Belt in a sort of hollow. It appears rather pale at the moment. It's easy to get N & S muddled though, especially if you use both a newtonian and a refractor / sct / mak.

It is very pale at the moment. I guess the size is the main thing which makes it easy to spot and as you say, make sure you know which way is up!. On Friday I saw three other dark spots which were easier to see but significantly smaller

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Archived