Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Has anyone got the 200p/eq5 - help with info..

Hi, can any 200p/eq5 owners (past owners) help with some info please?

1. The pics I have seen seem to show the huge ota balanced on a thin looking stand. Is it sturdy?

2. Can you use it with lowered legs? Or will my 8 year old need to stand on something?

3. Would it be appropriate to store it in the shed? Would cover it over, but is there danger from frost?

4. With the standard eye pieces etc how large does Jupiter look in the eyepiece? (sorry if this sounds odd question but I have never looked down anythin other than 10x40 binos).

I will be going to my nearest club when I get chance, but my shifts are very restrictive. Until then I rely on you guys

The latest version of the EQ5 mount uses 1.75" diameter stainless steel legs. These are also used on the heavier duty HEQ5, so there should be no problems with the EQ5 mount. The legs are telescopic so the overall height of the mount can be reduced. If there are problems with the telescope being used by your daughter have you considered the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P instead. To give you some idea of the height of this telescope take a look at this video from Scopes n Skies Skywatcher Skyliner Dobsonian Telescopes. The 150 Skyliner and 200 Skyliner are similar in height. The link to the video is by the side of the picture of the telescope.

To get an impression of how big planets etc can look in the eyepiece try this Field of View calculator. Using the "switch to visual view" option select your telescope from the drop down list on the left and an eyepiece from the menu of the right.

Peter

Thank you Peter, reassuring about the eq5 upgraded legs. I have looked at the site you mentioned already and found it very very useful. I guess when I looked though I got a but muddled up with eyepieces and used to high a Barlow. I could get Jupiter to fill the eyepiece but I would guess this comes at a cost: that being either expensive EP's or over magnification/degraded image.

You'll be absolutely fine keeping it in the shed. I kept mine under lock and key in my outhouse, but under a plastic cover to keep the dust off. It means that when you take it out, you'll have less time to wait while it reaches ambient temperature. Jupiter does look quite small but you can improve that with the supplied barlow which is also a little harder to focus. You'll be getting better eyepieces regardless as the supplied ones aren't up to much. I use Hyperions.

The 200P's a fantastic all round scope though, I regard it as the last reasonably priced scope before you spend £££ on a better one (just upgraded from a 200P to a C9.25). So buy with confidence.

One thing I would mention though, is that if you know you're not going to get the astrophotography bug, it might be worth looking at a dobsonian scope if you've a little one wanting to view. They're pretty much visual only scopes, but you get more aperture for your money, they're very easy to set up, and the viewing positions of the scope are easier to get to. Hope this helps.

Thank you Phoenix, very helpful. I have a DSLR and would like to try some pics, although having read on here many people say you need Heq5 minimum for photos (motor drive?). But for now shots of the moon would please me no end. My assumption was I could attach my d90 to it with the only extra outlay being a t adaptor? Have you used the same setup to take pics? Cheers Mark

I used a Canon 500D with a t-ring "prime focus", ie, straigt into the scope for my pics. I used a eq 3/2 motor driven mount at first with a 150PL (lovely scope), but the slightest bit of wind and it was wobblyville! So went straight to the NEQ6 Pro! as you do.

But I'd say a motor driven EQ5 would be fine for visual, and fine for pics of the moon, webcam work on planets, and up to 90 second subs on the easier DSOs. But you'd need to polar align accurately and probably drift alight too (I know I had to, got up to 120 second subs with a throw away rate of 35%). I've also used a CG5 mount, but theyre a bit noisy to be honest.

Have a look at the HEQ5 because if you get one, you'll have it a long time and its great for almost all scopes. But for the money, the EQ5 is a well built mount.

Is there a shop near you or a Society you could go and visit to see these things in the flesh?

I'd second the above comments about the EQ5 being fine with a 200p for visual.

I'd also echo PheonixRising's comments about imaging with a DSLR using this setup. Very accurate polar alignment and drift alignment are going to be the order of the day here. TBH, the main problem you're likely to get is going to be vibration. A big newt acts like a sail in the wind. You wouldn't need much of a breeze to cause a problem. As for sub length for DSO's, 60 seconds would be pretty normal, perhaps up to 90 seconds. I did get two minutes once .... never managed it again though! :glasses2:.

To connect your DSLR to the focuser, the newer 200p's with the Crayford focuser have what is called a "direct camera connection", which allows you to screw the T-ring for your DSLR directly to the eyepiece holder in the focuser (after first unscrewing the 1.25" eyepiece holder from the adapter). Works a treat, and also means you don't need the whole T-ring + T-piece. The T-ring itself is all that is required.

HTH

Thanks guys, unfortunately the Heq5 is more than my entire budget! Still from your comments about the eq5 it sounds like it would be fine.

Also interesting info about actually connecting a camera, sounds (surprisingly) very straight forward!

Black Knight that some awesome set of kit you have! How do you rate the Skymax 127? It was one of the ones I considered recently, would it make a good starter scope? Or do you think the 200 I posted on further up is a better choice?

Archived