What mount for 6" deep space

Hey,

I'm just starting to get into astronomy and just brought my 1st telescope, it's a old Orion Optics Europa 150FS. I'm wanting to get into Astrophotography and want to get a good mount that is capable of auto tracking. The scope comes with a EQ1 but I understand I might as well hold the thing by hand :glasses2:

I was thinking a EQ3 ? Thoughts?

Hi, and welcome to SGL. The first thing you should buy is

First Light Optics - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards

It's generally considered that an HEQ5 is the smallest mount to consider for Astro photography. There are people who are imaging with smaller mounts, with success, but I'm not sure an EQ3 is going to be heavy enough for a 150.

I agree with John above that before making any purchases in the imaging department, it is essential that you get hold of Steve Richards book. The mount is in both senses of the word the "hub" of any imaging rig. The HEQ5 is really the minimum because of its accuracy, payload capacity and the fact that you can fine tune its tracking by linking the motors to an auto guider. This is a device which is trained on to a star close to the object you are imaging and communicates with the motors to keep that star in the centre of the auto guider's sight. If you don't have an observatory where your imaging gear can be permanently calibrated, a mount that can facilitate an auto guider is a must really otherwise your imaging will be very hit and miss every time you set up your rig - imaging is about working smart not hard. :glasses2:

Clear skies

James

Well i'm no expert, but the GEM1 should be easily good enough for a 6" reflector. Definitely good enough to negate the need to buy a completely new mount straight away. I read something that said it's basically equivalent to an EQ4, but i'd wait for somebody more experienced to verify that :p

The GEM1 is an older mount (10 years or so) that Orion Optics used to supply scopes on. It's approximately the equivilent to an EQ3-2 but, unless it has drive motors already fitted, it will be difficult to get it motorised I think - there was a query on SGL about this a few year back and I think it drew a blank. The GEM1 would be stable enough for visual observing with a 6" F/5 newtonian but would not be very suitable for imaging I reckon, even if it could be driven.

Archived