Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Shooting narrowband with a DSLR?

Black Knight

Pretty impressive Jordan.

Without trying to go to OT and get away from the original thread, but will this only work with a modded DSLR? I ultimately plan to get a dedicated CCD but whilst I save and learn the ropes I can possibly start to invest in narrowband filters and try them out on my D200.

Hi Digz,

hmm, the reason people mod the DSLRs is too increase the Ha sensitivity. Not exactly sure how much it increases it, but, it is a lot. You could try it, it might be better though to save the filter money and get the CCD earlier.

It will work, but exposures will need to be longer/more of them to get the equivalent lack of noise and 'deepness' in an image.

Jordan

It's definitely possible to do narrowband. I used a 2" Ha filter IC1805 - Heart Nebula Not exactly sure why but don't tend to see too much OIII or SII stuff with DSLR, maybe they're significantly less sensitive. Ha seems quite common to do though.

May as well give the 1.25" filter a go :glasses2:

Jordan

Wow, Jordan, that's really good! Definitely gonna give this a go now :rolleyes:.

Digz, when I get the chance (and the weather behaves ;)), I'll post my pics.

Jordan, I know you used 20 minute subs for your Heart Nebula image, but do you have a sense for how much extra exposure time might be required to do Ha using a DSLR?

Hi Andy,

Definitely worth a go! Shorter exposure times should be fine, the longer the better really, up to a point. Tbh, 20mins is pushing it noise wise with DSLR, 5 or 10mins is good. The night I took that was particularly cold and helped reduce the noise, your 500D should be better there though :glasses2:

Jordan

Archived