Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So many choices.....

Hello all,

I am deliberating on the SW 150p eq3 or 200p eq5. Is there going to be much difference in the actual scopes and what you can see? I will get to my nearest astronomy club when I get chance but shifts are currently not making that possible!

I would like to consider attaching my DSLR for pics of The Moon and Jupiter etc in the future. So I am also considering the motor drive for the eq3 has anyone much experience of it? Can I press a button and it moves the scope around, or set it to slowly move to track with Earth rotation. My budget is strictly up to £400, so I realise I can't get it all.

Also I am new to the site I do not have access to the for sale section. I wondered what it may contain? Do may 150/200 comes along? I will probably buy new, def want to avoid ebay...

Thank you.

If you can afford it and the portability / storage space is OK for you, I would go for the larger aperture scope on the more robust mount. Motor drives and other accessories can be added later but, if you get into the hobby, you will only end up wanting to upgrade your aperture in a few months anyway. The extra 77% light gathering capacity of the 8" over the 6" will deliver better views of all objects, especially deep sky objects when light gathering is critical.

Good plan to avoid E.Bay. Until you can access the Buy & Sell section here there is always the UK Astro Buy & Sell wsbsite which many of use have used many times successfully:

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

PS: If you want GOTO, the aperture you can "buy" for your budget will be reduced as you will need to invest proportionally more in the mount.

You will probably be disappointed with the quality of the photos unless you are prepared to spend quite a bit more. With your strict budget, I would suggest you buy the largest aperture you can and forget tracking and goto. They aren't necessary and will suck up your budget for no reason. If you stick with visual observation then you'll end up with a scope with good aperture and the right accessories and still be within budget. Think you'll get more satisfaction that way.

I would suggest you buy an 8" Dobsonian. Second hand if you feel you trust the seller. Otherwise buy new (Skywatchers are under 300 quid). Then you'll need some or all of the following:

1. Star atlas. Sky and Telescope pocket atlas is a great choice. Download Stellarium (you may well have already done this).

2. A book or two such as Turn Left at Orion and Nightwatch. Those will provide lots of information and show you how to find objects in the sky and explain what those objects are. These are invaluable resources and will greatly enhance your appreciation of the sky.

3. A Telrad for finding stuff. The finderscopes which come with most scopes are rather hard to use. You will find stuff more quickly and with greater ease if you have a Telrad.

You should now still have some leftover cash. You could set this aside until you decide which accessories would be most beneficial to you. Perhaps an extra eyepiece or eyepiece upgrade is in order. Alternatively, a light-pollution flter. You can look on the second hand market for eyepieces: you'll save a packet that way.

There will be a difference in the scope, as well as the mounts. I bought A 200P ON THE eq5... i quickly upgraded to the HEQ5 PRO synscan.

The EQ5 can just managed the 200P, but you will find it very hard to image with. The 200P is a great starting point you wont be disappoineted in it, but for it to work well you will need the bigger HEQ5 mount which is out of your budget.

Keiran

Great advice guys thanks, also for taking the time for such detailed replies (it really makes a difference). I think I am now all but decided on the 200p with eq5 and will think about the photography at a later date. I def don't want to be buying shortly and then regretting not getting the extra aperture..

Archived