NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 22-09-11

John

The skies stayed clear here for a couple of hours tonight so I decided to spend that time observing Jupiter as carefully as I could. To help that process I decided to make a rough sketch of what I could see. During the periods of good seeing I was getting some nice glimpses of some of the lower contrast features and I've tried the capture the relative brightnesses and general shape / position of the features - it's tricky though, as experienced sketchers no doubt know :rolleyes:

Anyway for what it's worth here is a scan of my sketch - I've lost the "N" for north during the scanning :glasses2:. The scope was my Skywatcher ED120 refractor and the magnification was 150x provided by my Ethos 6mm eyepiece:

post-12764-13387766493_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments folks :rolleyes:

Nice, my poor sketch from October a year ago shows much more detail than this year, perhaps we've not had such good seeing.

I recall there were more features in the north equatorial belt last year, including a nice white spot which lingered for some time. The SEB was virtually invisible for much of that opposition though - it's nice to have it back, despite the fact that it makes the Great Red Spot a little less easy to spot this year :glasses2:

Archived