Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

getting confused now with scope choice

I have been planning on getting my second scope with a 10" Dobsonian being the main plan but have now also been looking at refractor scopes and now Maksutov-Cassegrain scopes.

Dobsonians seem to offer a lot of bank for the money but are huge and need collimating (if my 127eq is anything to go by).

Refractors seem to offer clear visuals at the expense of magnification for Dobsonians of the same price point and the Maksutov-Cassegrain seem to offer similar magnifications at the same price point and I might even squeeze in an entry level goto system at the same price point as the Dobsonian (£445) especially if I venture to ebay.

I want the scope for visual observing but have been looking at refractors as a piggy back scope to my 127eq for photography purposes as I an pretty interested in the webcam mods and am part way through stripping my MS HD Webcam for that exact purpose so I can take some images direct to my mac. I keep thinking that the goto Maksutov-Cassegrain would be ideal for this but with a refractor piggy backed on so I can use the Maksutov-Cassegrain to visually view the stars.

I am very likely staring to sprint before I have finished crawling but I want to make sure that my next purchase can go hand in hand with the next purchase etc as my current scope is very much a starter scope and I think it will be on ebay in time for someone else to use it as their starter scope at Christmas.

Brain spinning and harder to focus that the scope itself. Any tips from owners of each type would be appreciated. I must say I like the look of the Dobsonians for the ease of use etc but cannot help but feel I would outgrow it.

Forgot to say - I quite enjoy vanishing into the new forest for remote viewing with no lights at all so transporting is a factor although a Dobsonian purchase would see me keeping the existing scope for that.

Hopefully this all makes sense to someone

I think the main thing to do is decide whether you want to go visual of via the AP route.

the requirements of the equipment are really quite different. for me the key issue with visual is aperture. more aperture = more size and this is inevitable.

if you can, try and see e.g. a 10" dob or a 12" dob and look through it. this may turn you one way or the other and then it's job done.

I looked through an old 12" dob and for me this has made it clear to me that I am solely visual. I have not got a 16" dob and this is really as far as I want to go as I need to get any scope through my house doors and the next logical step (a 20") would be unlikely to do so.

even this large scope will fit in the boot of my small hatchback.

I have been planning on getting my second scope with a 10" Dobsonian being the main plan but have now also been looking at refractor scopes and now Maksutov-Cassegrain scopes.

Dobsonians seem to offer a lot of bank for the money but are huge and need collimating (if my 127eq is anything to go by).

Refractors seem to offer clear visuals at the expense of magnification for Dobsonians of the same price point and the Maksutov-Cassegrain seem to offer similar magnifications at the same price point and I might even squeeze in an entry level goto system at the same price point as the Dobsonian (£445) especially if I venture to ebay.

I want the scope for visual observing but have been looking at refractors as a piggy back scope to my 127eq for photography purposes as I an pretty interested in the webcam mods and am part way through stripping my MS HD Webcam for that exact purpose so I can take some images direct to my mac. I keep thinking that the goto Maksutov-Cassegrain would be ideal for this but with a refractor piggy backed on so I can use the Maksutov-Cassegrain to visually view the stars.

I am very likely staring to sprint before I have finished crawling but I want to make sure that my next purchase can go hand in hand with the next purchase etc as my current scope is very much a starter scope and I think it will be on ebay in time for someone else to use it as their starter scope at Christmas.

Brain spinning and harder to focus that the scope itself. Any tips from owners of each type would be appreciated. I must say I like the look of the Dobsonians for the ease of use etc but cannot help but feel I would outgrow it.

Forgot to say - I quite enjoy vanishing into the new forest for remote viewing with no lights at all so transporting is a factor although a Dobsonian purchase would see me keeping the existing scope for that.

Hopefully this all makes sense to someone

My god i can identify with what you've said here! Ive talked myself in and out of half a dozen scopes and am still none the wiser and scope-less! Also guilty thoughts "Am i being too self indulgent?" spending 300-400 quid on a scope!

you need to answer the following questions.. hopefully itll clear up your head.. =)..

1. are you interested in galaxies / nebulae or the planets?

apochromatic refractors or fast newtonians are better suited for DSOs.. they have short focal lengths which means the EPs will magnify less and hence you can see a wider view of the sky.. but DSOs can seldom be seen anything more than a grey fuzz.. their colors come out during long exposures only.. slow newtonians, schmidts and makstovs are better suited for planets.. they have long focal lengths and hence magnify more.. the planets are bright yet small and need high mag to be seen..

2. whats your budget..

newtonians are the cheapest.. apochromatic refractors are very expensive.. alt-az mounts are the cheapest.. equatorial mounts with goto are the most expensive.. good EPs are expensive too..

3. are you into astrophotography or visual observation only.. astrophotography is very demanding.. scope optics and mount.. not even the slightest vibration can be tolerated.. and alt-az cant be used for long exposures in most cases.. visual observation is more forgiving.. you can even get something like meade lx series which have goto on an alt-az mount..

as an example ill state my position.. im fond of astrophotography and mostly into DSOs.. cuz of this ive had to settle for a skywatcher explorer 200pds.. which is a fast newtonian.. and has a direct DSLR connection.. an HEQ5 mount isnt suitable for AP so ill have to get an NEQ6 so that the scope stays stable even if i add additional guidescopes etc..

if youre seriously thinking of delving in.. id recommed this..

1. get a decent dob.. youll get a large aperture and a basic mount for visual observation..

2. get some good EPs cuz the stock ones arent good.. plus filters maybe.. etc..

3. get an equatorial mount.. if you have cash you can get a goto system.. if you want AP then the mount has to be driven and really solid.. so if you think youd want to do AP sometime in the future.. get a good mount at this stage..

im sure others can make better corrections to this.. peace..

It sounds like you're in the process of accumulating a telescope collection :) That's probably the right way to go as no one scope does it all. In this case, I wouldn't agonise too much about this purchase.

It sounds like you're interested in a Dob. In my opinion, every scope collection needs a good-sized Dobsonian. You can't go wrong with a good Dob and whatever else you may buy, the Dob will always be there, ready for visual observing. The only way you'll out-grow a 10" Dobsonian is if you loose interest in visual observing. A good 10" from a dark sky site produces breathtaking views. 12" is starting to get fairly large, but still quite manageable as a truss.

I think I will be getting the dob first. I do like visual observing but like the idea of piggy backing a refractor to the main scope to record some some video / images via a web cam whilst I use my eyes on the main scope. Basically like taking a snap shot of where you have been in the sky.

Imaging may grab me but right now that is how I want to take my first steps into it and learn the sky from a visual point of view before I start getting too fancy. I love looking at the planets at that is where the image captures would come from but I do want to get into viewing galaxies and nebula as that is where my primary desire is leading me.

you, my brother, are lucky enough to be able to buy astronomical equipment whenever you want.. i aint.. thats why im compiling a kit thatll last me many years.. and ill learn to use it gradually.. otherwise i wouldve started with a DOB too..

i think youre on the right track.. cheers mate..

Archived