NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New setup for video astronomy

I’m considering a new scope setup and would welcome some advice from everyone here, not least because I’m thinking of getting into something I know nothing about!

To date I have always stuck to visual observing and I had been thinking about upgrading from my 12” dob to a 16” truss tube setup. However, the weight, eyepiece height at zenith + mirror cool down time is putting me off. I also wonder how much difference the extra aperture will make on really faint objects since I never observe from a really dark site. As an alternative I’m thinking about getting a setup for video astronomy with the possibility of getting into imaging in the longer term.

I have a budget of a little over £2k (I haven’t bought any gear for a while so I’m in credit at home :)). I’m considering a NEQ6, 200 mm Skywatcher Quattro f4 and Watec 120n+ camera. I’m thinking that the Watec will serve for the video astronomy and also let me try out imaging. However, as I said, I’m completely new to anything but dobs and visually observing so I’d love to hear if others think I could do better.

Hello Andrew.

Within your suggested budjet, I would think the Watec 120n would be a good choice, they have an excellent performance and would almost effectively triple your telescope's apparent light grasp if you can be patient for 10 seconds! There was a 2nd hand one on A,B&S a couple of days ago. :)

Thanks for the feedback.

The focal reducer idea is interesting - I wasn't sure if a focal reducer was an option on a Newtonian i.e. will it come to focus? will stars remain sharp? (I have a Baader MPCC coma corrector)

Is this less of an issue with the quattro because it is intended for imaging?

Archived