Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 Part 2 WIP 6.75 hours

Earl

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed to get 4 20min subs last night, then the cloud rolled in, I did some processing and the outer arms are really not playing ball even using 20min subs (that did suprise me) so im pondering is this a Sensitivity issue or LP issue, or possibly it just needs some serious "Subbage"?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice M31... the link doesnt work...

The file needs to be in the public area then right click it and copy public link.. I tend to use the shorten link option as well...

Copy it and drop it into the dialog that pops up for the insert piccy option (yellow landscape image)

Peter...

Random musing.

I need to make a Mosaic of the HA and the OSC but in 4 channels R G B and HA, once these are tidy. then split them add the HA to the R, the recombine the new R wirth the G B.

Humms

Ill sleep on this.

Actually I like the ha addition.

Although adding narrowband to sideband is probably a bit harder than just adding it to the red channel. Really I think the picture needs to be thought of as spectrums of wavelengths - Ha is within the red filter spectrum so it would unbalance the red from the green/blue if it was just added to it.

Actually I like the ha addition.

Although adding narrowband to sideband is probably a bit harder than just adding it to the red channel. Really I think the picture needs to be thought of as spectrums of wavelengths - Ha is within the red filter spectrum so it would unbalance the red from the green/blue if it was just added to it.

I have some pixel maths from harry tutorials to deal with those issues, however getting the channels to match up is just ... round and round in circles im getting nowere on it

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43788925/Main%20m31%20Master.fit OSC Data

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43788925/HA%20Master.fit HA Data

Perhaps it's worth using the Red channel only for the Ha alignment? Not that scope should be a problem, however it's likely the subject has a different red alignment than if you combine and attempt to align on the complete (L)RGB?

Ok, had a play with these files.

To be honest there is not much in the Ha data when you extract the red from the RGB of the OSC. I gather the ha filter was simply put over the top of the OSC camera and so it was also filtered by the camera.

I took the following steps.

1. Split the RGB into individual R G B channels

2. Split the Ha into RGB

3. Combined the 2 red channels to one

4. Aligned all images and combined back to RGB

Most of the work in the image is processing in PI with gradient removal, local histogram enhancements and a bit of level / contrast work in CS5

My honest truth. Not much point in taking Ha with a Ha filter on a OSC or not in this case.

post-16631-133877679348_thumb.jpg

Cheers for having a go, I see a Mono CCD in my future :D

Don't make rash decisions based on my limited skills in PI and CS5, but I would tend to agree.

Ha being filtered and then hitting the OSC chip, who knows what is happening in the recieving of the photons on the CCD.

I would be tempted to try it on a STRONG Ha target such as the NAN or Elephants Trunk to see if you get better signals.

Also the processing is a real pain in the butt, splitting channels from both colour and Ha images (it is in colour too) and trying to combine them is a real pain and not extact.

With my mono, I combine the Ha and Red together before combining into RGB and then re-add the Ha as Luminance over the top.

Seems to work for me well.

Well im going to take a break from this as adding 4 hours HA and a further 3.5 hours of OSC has not really added much.

However i have found the two dost speaks and that problem has gone so thats a plus :)

Archived